platy not breeding (but interested in my female betta)

venzi

Hi.  I have a set of platies.  2 male (over 2 inches) and 1 female (1 inch) for over two months now.  I have never seen them trying to breed. I do own several female betta fish and I've seen both of the male platys try to "mate" with this specific female betta.  The female betta completely ignores the male platys which is hilarious to me and isn't phased at all about the male platies.  There's no chasing involved.  The males just try to flick their anal fin, but doesn't get any action and they move on.  Any ideas what's going on?  

I'm wondering if the female platy is too small for the 2 male platys or they are different "species" of platys so they just ignore each other?

female platy (1inch)

female platy 1 inch

male platys look like this (both are over 2 inches)

20221227_224955.jpg.9c66c67c32da21b2fba235a2968daf0d.jpg

female betta is this

20221227_225002.jpg.96801822e3c34c7b43cf8bf15d0354f6.jpg

Mske live bearers can be strange sometimes. This seems extra strange to me tho. I did once have a male guppy who had 2 female guppies with him but he would follow the yellow glo tetra around all day. None of the other colored ones, only the yellow one. He did mate with the females as well tho so there's that. 

Another thing to point out that could be an issue is your ratio. Typically you want 2 females for every male when it comes to live bearers. Males are very thirsty and will want to mate at all times. With only one female around, it's possible they are trying to get some action from the other fish they see. 

• Like 1

Yeah.  I've been planning to get more female plates for a while.   The betta sorority derailed that plan.  But hopefully in the next week or so I'll have at least 3 more female platys.

So it has nothing to do with the size diff or the species of platy?

On 12/28/2022 at 2:04 AM, venzi said:

Yeah.  I've been planning to get more female plates for a while.   The betta sorority derailed that plan.  But hopefully in the next week or so I'll have at least 3 more female platys.

So it has nothing to do with the size diff or the species of platy?

There is only 1 species of platy with different strains. Kinda like saying dog breeds. 

• Thanks 1