Whatcha get for Christmas?

Jeff

Super stoked that a) I got these for Christmas, and b) that I finally get to read them. I've had ants in my pants waiting for Christmas in hopes of getting them, ever since Cory was beating the drum about these. 

These are probably my favorite gifts this year. How bout you?

42CDB1B0-3D18-4ECF-BCB7-8B1DDD1C06E9.jpeg

• Like 2

Nothing fish related, although I'm not surprised, I give my wife a list of online and one LFS she can get me gift cards for, and she never does, says that she wants to have something more than a gift card for me to unwrap. But she did get me the Blackstone griddle that I had asked for. Now, I have to get it seasoned and figure out what to make first on it. 

• Like 2

@Andy's Fish Den I use a lot of cast iron and I always "season" by cooking bacon first!!!! (Crisco later, but a lot of people like grapeseed oil nowadays)

I was more excited about what I got my parents, a Birdvue Bird feeder with wifi camera! 

image000002(5).jpg

image000001(6).jpg

My Dad has already sent me videos of the feeder visitors

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

On 12/27/2022 at 9:26 PM, Jeff said:

Super stoked that a) I got these for Christmas, and b) that I finally get to read them. I've had ants in my pants waiting for Christmas in hopes of getting them, ever since Cory was beating the drum about these. 

The Comfort Crisis is on my to-read list; I'm kind of anti-comfort by nature so I'm interested in what he has to say. I should probably read Priceless before I go in for my next round of salary negotiations! Great gifts.

On 12/28/2022 at 11:36 AM, TOtrees said:

image.jpg.bae290e72761ce2f15b3120978b691b0.jpg

That's a good one. I enjoyed it and appreciate the science being made available to the average person. Fish have more going on than people think!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 5:50 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

was more excited about what I got my parents, a Birdvue Bird feeder with wifi camera! 

Wow, so cool!

On 12/30/2022 at 7:01 AM, lefty o said:

start saving, everybody needs a real M1! the model is neat though.

Remember when you could get one at Big 5 for about 99.95?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:17 AM, lefty o said:

ive had my old match rifle for a good 25 years, and it wasnt even that cheap.

In the mid 1990s beaters seemed super cheap at Big 5 and I almost picked one up, a few years later they seemed to have a huge price bump. I think the tv series Band of Brothers might have had some influence on the prices. 
I’m not a collector but I was always fascinated  that you could go into Big 5 for a tennis racquet or some sneakers and come out with a piece of history. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, Patrick_G said:

In the mid 1990s beaters seemed super cheap at Big 5 and I almost picked one up, a few years later they seemed to have a huge price bump. I think the tv series Band of Brothers might have had some influence on the prices. 
I’m not a collector but I was always fascinated  that you could go into Big 5 for a tennis racquet or some sneakers and come out with a piece of history. 

beater grade M1's are over a grand now. its crazy.

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 12/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, Jeff said:

I bought myself 20 more books. Now I just need to setup time and a good spot to read. It's on my 2023 to do list to read more. I'd like to put a strategy in to reread books that I find particularly helpful. I know I read books 10 years ago that were amazing and am lucky if I put 5% of it into practice. Still lots of good information to be mined from them.

On 12/30/2022 at 1:02 PM, Cory said:

I bought myself 20 more books. Now I just need to setup time and a good spot to read. It's on my 2023 to do list to read more. I'd like to put a strategy in to reread books that I find particularly helpful. I know I read books 10 years ago that were amazing and am lucky if I put 5% of it into practice. Still lots of good information to be mined from them.

good books are always worth a second or third read. something always seems to pop up you didnt catch the first time through.

• Like 3

I don't really celebrate Christmas, but I visited my bff this year for the holiday & actually did take some small gifts along with me since I never get to see her for birthdays & such. I was surprised to receive a cash gift from her which I used yesterday to buy new plants, substrate & root tabs at Aquarium Coop's Lynnwood store yesterday - it's always a treat to visit the store. Then I picked up a 14 gallon, Aqueon cube tank too. I may not set it up anytime soon, but that was a nice gift to be able to purchase. Merry Holidays everyone!

• Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 2:02 PM, Cory said:

Since I don’t have a fireplace or even a faux fire like Cory has on the Sunday YouTubes, I read in front of this fire; it really is cozy. I recommend it!

6E9989A5-5775-4ABF-BAE0-80095677EB1F.jpeg.40af450a1271b5be2ef1d88c5316e3d2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Got two new pairs of Valleret photography gloves, one down to around -20 degrees Fahrenheit with Merino liners and fold back index finger and thumb with magnets, the other a pair of arctic mitts for the real cold with zipper to expose the first pair of gloves underneath. So now once again I'm good to go for taking pictures in winter, whether here in the Rockies, or up in Fairbanks, AK taking photos of the Aurora. Also got some new 300Mb/s memory cards for my cameras.

20230101_155333[1].jpg

20230101_155524[1].jpg

Edited by Jungle Fan
Added Pictures
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Got a surprise gift in the mail yesterday from my S-I-L. I now have a dozen unique dictionaries on my bookshelf. From the plain old Webster's to the Dictionary of American  Regional English. The newest one is "A Third Browser's Dictionary" by John Ciardi. Yes...I admit it...I love words! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/27/2022 at 8:41 PM, lefty o said:

i got not so much as a lump of coal.

What are you a Dickensian street urchin hoping to keep warm?  "Please sir, I just need one, small lump to make it through the night so I don't end up like the matchstick girl." 

Meanwhile, in the present day...  I got a variable magnification dissecting scope - so I can check on the quality and density of the live feeds I am starting to cultivate!  I feel like I've taken my efforts to a new level with a dedicated scope just for fussing over live feed cultures.  🤣

• Love 1