Transportation in car Question please what is best

Bev C

I started a  red cherry shrimp tank and I have lots of babies i have friend that lives  local that wants a few and the rest my local store 1-2 hours away will be taking the babies and need to transport them I was thinking of a two gallon bucket  a 5 gallon  bucket is not good for me to use   a 5 gallon is big and bulky for me with a disability and one hand  a 2 gallon i can handle  i know i need a lid and a air stone and  portable air pump

. i need a air pump that works only on battery   in the car i will not be able to use a usb plugin  i need one with batteries it does not matter what size battery i will be in a car around 1-3 hours  I know that  ACO has the tiny nano usb one  and the one that is battery backup that you plug-in  if i get one of those can i just put in battery and go  if not does any one have a recommendation for a battery  1 that can run up to 4-5 hours  

it will be 1-2 more weeks before they are ready to transport  just trying  to get  organized since i have to buy online for the pump  i did aa search on the forum only saw the backup plugin  pumps

thank you for any advice  have a nice holiday 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry about using an air pump for a journey of only a few hours, they survive much longer in the bags when they are posted. I have kept shrimp in the shop bag for about 8 hrs without any problem.

I like those old picnic coolers with the locking lid . You can set up what ever you are going to carry them in at home and run a air stone in there before you set off if you'd like 

Remember to leave a good air gap between the water and the lid to allow gas exchange to continue.

• Like 3

Thank you every one  for the advice i was thinking i need a air pump they will be in a car with heater for at least 3 hours    i do have a styrofoam chest from the fish store they gave me when they pack bags of fish for me  it is really short and shallow though,, i might go get a   taller styrofoam ice chest    i do not have moss  i kill moss .. but i can add guppy grass or riccia fluitan  in for them   they have  both plants in the tank 

I have had shrimp survive in specimen containers for weeks without air stones or a heater. I had one Tupperware with some that got moved without my knowing and they had almost all their water evaporate and then they were fine after I found them. I still don't know how long those went without an air stone, heat, food and light. It had to be over a month. Generally those shrimp all had mulm with them since they were from filter cleaning out gravel vacuuming. Another example with no mulm, I bagged about 50 shrimp per bag to take to my local shop, bagged them at about 7am, left the bags open and sitting in containers for 6 hours then closed them up and took them to my local shop. One died but he got smooshed by a folded over bag corner in transport.

You should have no issue with a small bucket for a few hours. Just use their tank water and don't water change on the same day so there's less stress.

They love plant sprigs. I add small bits of stem plants when I ship shrimp.

You've got this. It's nerve-wracking the first few times around, but you'll be surprised at how resilient they are.

• Like 1

thank you @Minanora my fish store and guy know i have a disability with one hand so they are allowing me to bring them in without bagging them  in a bucket they said they will quarantine them as soon as i bring them in  they quarantine and medicate all their new fish  and gets them healthy before selling 

On 12/27/2022 at 7:12 AM, Bev C said:

I started a  red cherry shrimp tank and I have lots of babies i have friend that lives  local that wants a few and the rest my local store 1-2 hours away will be taking the babies and need to transport them I was thinking of a two gallon bucket  a 5 gallon  bucket is not good for me to use   a 5 gallon is big and bulky for me with a disability and one hand  a 2 gallon i can handle  i know i need a lid and a air stone and  portable air pump

2 gallon is perfectly fine. Heck, use a milk jug if that helps.  The key being to use air, to have a lit or some form of keeping the water from spilling, to have some form of making the sure the bucket doesn't tip (someone holds it or use a bunch or towels maybe?), and then you just need to keep the water level on the bucket at about 40% or lower.

Secondly, because it's shrimp, it does help them with stress to have something to hold onto.  Mesh or screen door material or something should work, but I believe other people might have techniques they use for shrimp shipping.

On 12/27/2022 at 7:21 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I like those old picnic coolers with the locking lid . You can set up what ever you are going to carry them in at home and run a air stone in there before you set off if you'd like 

100%, an ice chest with the shrimp works too!  They have the small 1-2 gallon ones with lids.  You can try to "seal it" a little better with plastic wrap too, just don't been too excessive with it because you want some air flow as well.  People shipping fish have had issues with boxes and foam taped too tightly also.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Love 1

thanks for the advice  @nabokovfan87 Lol i do not drive so they will  be between my feet probably on the floor  or i will hold it if i use a bucket i will not seal it but if i use a ice chest will probably poke holes in the top of the lid  or leave lid off till we get there  i will add some guppy  grass   or  riccia fluitan for them the riccia grows  crazy 😜 in that tank  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/27/2022 at 12:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Mesh or screen door material or something should work

Maybe some coarse sponge or floss? I like the ideas above of moss or plant sprigs as well.

On 12/27/2022 at 12:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

have some form of making the sure the bucket doesn't tip

I like to set a bucket inside a box. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Haha, when I've bought shrimp from my LFS, they've put a sprig of rotala or a bit of dwarf sagittaria in the big for the shrimp to hold on to, and after getting the shrimp in the tank, my frugality and distaste for waste compelled me to plant those pieces, and they've done really well for me! So it turned into a buy-shrimp-get-plant-free kind of deal!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 12/27/2022 at 10:52 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Maybe some coarse sponge or floss? I like the ideas above of moss or plant sprigs as well.

Yep, even just a trim off a stem. Anything works.  Something not rigid would be my choice. I think a lot of people use screen door mesh.

On 12/27/2022 at 10:44 AM, Bev C said:

thanks for the advice  @nabokovfan87 Lol i do not drive so they will  be between my feet probably on the floor  or i will hold it if i use a bucket i will not seal it but if i use a ice chest will probably poke holes in the top of the lid  or leave lid off till we get there  i will add some guppy  grass   or  riccia fluitan for them the riccia grows  crazy 😜 in that tank  

Sounds perfect 🙂

• Like 2
  • Love 1