RO water

smm333

Purchased salty shrimp gh/kh+ to remineralize RO water for a shrimp tank. Now, I can't seem to find RO water...😫 . Supposedly it's available in lots of grocery stores, but apparently not near me. The lfs has it if you bring in your own containers, but I hear it is slow filling them and I am looking at 20 gallons to set it up. I hate to be the pain in the butt customer. An RO system isn't in the budget right now. Anyone find it in their grocery store? I checked Safeway and Winco near me.

On 12/26/2022 at 7:39 PM, smm333 said:

Purchased salty shrimp gh/kh+ to remineralize RO water for a shrimp tank. Now, I can't seem to find RO water...😫 . Supposedly it's available in lots of grocery stores, but apparently not near me. The lfs has it if you bring in your own containers, but I hear it is slow filling them and I am looking at 20 gallons to set it up. I hate to be the pain in the butt customer. An RO system isn't in the budget right now. Anyone find it in their grocery store? I checked Safeway and Winco near me.

I believe you mean distilled water, basically ro water. You can find a gallon for $1-2 I believe. I still recommend trying to find a used ro system.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 12:00 AM, DiscusLover said:

I checked Safeway and Winco near me.

Don't know where you live but in the Midwest you can get 5 gal jugs at Meijer's for 13.99 (this is for jug and water, if you bring jug back it's only a couple of dollars to get a new one), which is actually cheaper than at lfs. It's from Primo Water you can check for a place near you https://primowater.com/

I grew up drinking city water but will never go back to it again after drinking well water for 10+ years. I've had R/O water in all my homes for 20+ years, well worth the investment, saves me from having to buy plastic bottles of water that go to dump even though I pay for them to be recycled. 

Edited by JJenna

On 12/27/2022 at 6:18 AM, Guppysnail said:

Walmart brand purified water is RO

This is not the same as RO water you would make in a home RO system.  RO water, especially from an industrial RO process like they would use at a bottling plant, is very aggressive to metal and does not taste particularly good because almost all ions have been removed.  To counteract this they remineralize the water with a known concentration of minerals.  I would guess the TDS of the Wally World water is much lower than the municipal water used to make it but still going to be higher than pure RO water.

On 12/26/2022 at 7:39 PM, smm333 said:

Well, After hearing distilled water would work,  I stopped at winco after work. I'd called them and they said they had distilled water. What do I find? A huge fill your own bottle ro dispensing machine! .88 to buy a bottle and fill it and . 40 for refills! I bought 10 after work and my husband refilled them for me last night (he works nights). I'm almost up and running! I'll remineralize these final 10 after work, and then it's just waiting on the delivery of my lights and glass top. So exciting! Shrimpy paradise almost complete!

• Like 1
  • Love 1