Fluval Stratum

Howdy,

So I recently started preparing for a 5gal no tech shrink aquarium, and my biggest problem is substrate. To make up for the filter I want to have a heavily planted tank, and I’ve heard that Fluval Stratum is a great resource to use, however it can mix badly with sand and cause other issues. So my question is, Would I be able to put the Fluval stratum into media bags and place them at the bottom of the aquarium, then top it with 1-2” of sand and still achieve the good plant growth?

On 12/26/2022 at 7:49 PM, Patrick_G said:

Yes you can do that and it’ll solve the problem of the black Stratum migrating up through your nice white sand. 

Here’s a little tank I’d with unbagged stratum capped with pool sand, you can see that a bit of stratum migrates but it’s not too bad. A3E8CF1E-AA66-4088-A7C2-3C12FEDD94A1.jpeg.abf8062b520d4a30592d6153c62e7cf0.jpeg9BFB7BB4-6429-45AE-B6F5-837893590FD8.jpeg.4d8cc2843e3a5b5a038c8d2fbabde9e1.jpeg

Perfect, any types/brand of bags that you recommend? Small enough that the Fluval won’t go through, but the roots can. Also that tank is very similar to what I want mine to look like, minus the filter! Very nice!

On 12/26/2022 at 4:57 PM, NanotankBank said:

Perfect, any types/brand of bags that you recommend? Small enough that the Fluval won’t go through, but the roots can. Also that tank is very similar to what I want mine to look like, minus the filter! Very nice!

That ones filterless but I did have a heater for some sparkling Gourami. 

Aquarium Co-op sells the right bags. Let’s see if the link works filter bags

second try: Aquarium Filter Media Bag

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/filtration/products/aquarium-fish-tank-media-filter-bag

Edited by Patrick_G