Hello aqua friends

Darax

Hi there,

Last February my family insisted we get an aquarium. I hadn't kept fish in nearly 20 years, but back in the day raised a 12 cent feeder goldfish into a pretty chunky fish. I figured I knew enough to manage a tank. My hubris was displayed by the Spongebob House and the pink substrate. This decor was to go into a 20 gallon tank housing two common goldfish. Oops. 

It's been a long journey since then.  I have to thank the youtube community, such as aquarium coop, KG Tropicals, and primetime aquatics. I will likely chronicle the most salient lessons at some point, as they are still with me. I only have one of the two goldfish we adopted in February. That fish lives in a 75 gallon with 2 Siamese algae eaters. I also have a 55 gallon stocked with plecos, guppies, whitecloud minnows.  The 55 has been running since April, the 75 I started in November.

Cheers,

Darax

55gallon2212.jpg

75gallon2212.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/28/2022 at 9:07 AM, Guppysnail said:

Welcome. Very nice looking tanks. What is the plant in the center of the first picture?

The foreground is some crypt. The mid is a couple of anubais, and maybe a Java fern. I'm not sure what the specific names are of these plants. Here's a closer image. Maybe someone smarter than me knows. 

20221228_092521.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 9:38 AM, Littlefish said:

That 55 looks good, vaguely like a sw macro algae tank.  Maybe just bcs of the blue lighting?

I need to get smarter about lighting when I photograph my tank. Not sure what a sw macro algae tank is. I don't try to control algae too aggressively, the fish seem to enjoy it. 

Edit: looked up macro algae. I guess that was a compliment. 🙂

Edited by Darax

Welcome!

Maybe we need to start a leaderboard for the different ways people enter the hobby. Feels like the "Reluctant parent who finally relents only to fall down the rabbit hole and before the aquarium person" would be at the top (or at least to three).

I know I'm in that group too...

• Like 1