Powder Blue Gourami Is Not Well

FLFishChik

This morning I woke up to my Powder Blue Gourami laying on his side on the substrate, still breathing. I nudged him a bit and he immediately moved, swimming to the top of the tank, but he’s struggling. He now just hangs out at the top resting in the plants but I noticed his right side there is some white discoloration and scales look raised around his gills. The gills on the right side don’t seem to be functioning, but the left side are. I don’t know what is going on. All other inhabitants seem ok. Below are pics of my parameters followed by best pics I could get of my poor fish…

E72212A9-842A-4C71-8BF6-19BD2A1737E6.jpeg

6E2F0C5C-5DE8-473D-A67B-E5D160773916.jpeg

AD00C004-1E18-42C1-8AD5-74043634DB98.jpeg

1742E285-05B6-4120-9B63-98F7C47272C2.jpeg

A8C9CFF9-5007-40C5-AF1E-3859251D2115.jpeg

E720774D-E53A-4568-80A0-EA026D1A8FC5.jpeg

Edited by FLFishChik

There's a couple of things it could be an injury or dwarf gourami iridovirus if you can I would quarantine and add some aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons it will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes you could also do a course of maracyn or kanaplex if it's iridovirus there's no treatment available it has a 100% mortality rate it can lay dormant for up to a year before your fish start to show symptoms usually kills with in 10 days  @FLFishChik

Edited by Colu

On 12/26/2022 at 4:31 PM, FLFishChik said:

Thanks! This PBG is new, he’s only been in the tank about 2 weeks. He’s the 2nd one I’ve had that has had the same type of symptoms- the other I found already passed, this one looks like he’s probably not going to make it.

As this is the second gourami to have had these symptoms I wouldn't put any more gourami's in this as iridovirus can remain dormant in the tank for a minimum of 6 months reinfecting any gourami's you add to the tank if you are going to put gourami's in the tank in the future I would sterilize the tank using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution or bleach be careful not to cross contaminate any nets or other equipment that you use in other tanks with gouramis 

On 12/26/2022 at 5:29 PM, Colu said:

As this is the second gourami to have had these symptoms I wouldn't put any more gourami's in this as iridovirus can remain dormant in the tank for a minimum of 6 months reinfecting any gourami's you add to the tank if you are going to put gourami's in the tank in the future I would sterilize the tank using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution or bleach be careful not to cross contaminate any nets or other equipment that you use in other tanks with gouramis 

As expected, he didn’t make it. I will not be adding anymore Gourami to the tank. 2 deaths is enough. I can’t take the stress. I think it cured my want for a PBG for a long while

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Sad 1