my newest tank

wossat

On 12/24/2022 at 3:02 PM, PineSong said:

Very nice balance of wood, rock and plants. Who will live in this tank? What size is it? We want details!

Size is 2 foot by 1.5 by 1.5 works out to be 120 liter. Going to have a breeding pair of Kribs and a school of harlequin rasbora. At least that's my current plan.

• Like 1

Tank looks great! Kribs are wonderful parents, and with that the number of fish you have can get out of control quickly. Kribs were my first non-livebearers and I learned some valuable lessons with those guys. 

Also, welcome to the forum! To tag specific people, so they get a notification, simply use the @ and then type a name, and tap the correct name in the list. Mine would be @AllFishNoBrakes

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

• 3 weeks later...

Your tank looks nice! Hope your lil friends have a good life ahead.

It is always a good idea to stock slowly and keep the parameters in check! But if the tank is 120L as you've mentioned, I think you can gradually increase the size of the rasbora school, as they enjoy being in a larger school. Up to you! 

Kribs are beautiful creatures. Would like to see updates in the future!

I've heard from experiences that kribs may be quite agressive and territorial versus other creatures in the tank especially if kept in pairs and mainly during their spawning period. Maybe fish keepers with past experiences may comment on this one as I have never kept them personally. Or maybe your friend who is already breeding them may help! I've heard stories where they sadly killed their tank mates when they were spawning 😞 or even claiming most of the tank (aproximately the size referring to 50x50cm in their tank) for themselves and barely letting others in the tank to move around. I would suggest searching for more experiences in this regard.

I should leave the topic fast or else  I wanna start another tank. 😄

Cheers,

Edited by Lennie

On 1/10/2023 at 9:22 PM, Lennie said:

Your tank looks nice! Hope your lil friends have a good life ahead.

It is always a good idea to stock slowly and keep the parameters in check! But if the tank is 120L as you've mentioned, I think you can gradually increase the size of the rasbora school, as they enjoy being in a larger school. Up to you! 

Kribs are beautiful creatures. Would like to see updates in the future!

I've heard from experiences that kribs may be quite agressive and territorial versus other creatures in the tank especially if kept in pairs and mainly during their spawning period. Maybe fish keepers with past experiences may comment on this one as I have never kept them personally. Or maybe your friend who is already breeding them may help! I've heard stories where they sadly killed their tank mates when they were spawning 😞 or even claiming most of the tank (aproximately the size referring to 50x50cm in their tank) for themselves and barely letting others in the tank to move around. I would suggest searching for more experiences in this regard.

I should leave the topic fast or else  I wanna start another tank. 😄

Cheers,

Yep plan is to let the tank deal with the bio load from these 5 and test waters make sure its stable then add another 5.

The kribs do have me a little nervous! I have heard mixed things about them. The guy I'm getting them off said they just keep other fish away from the spawn spot. my concern is if they pick the middle of the tank the other fish won't have anywhere to swim but hid in the plants at the top.

Worst case I would just separate them chuck the female in a neibouring tank.

But yeah still not 100% sure I want to get them. 

On 1/11/2023 at 1:57 AM, wossat said:

Yep plan is to let the tank deal with the bio load from these 5 and test waters make sure its stable then add another 5.

The kribs do have me a little nervous! I have heard mixed things about them. The guy I'm getting them off said they just keep other fish away from the spawn spot. my concern is if they pick the middle of the tank the other fish won't have anywhere to swim but hid in the plants at the top.

Worst case I would just separate them chuck the female in a neibouring tank.

But yeah still not 100% sure I want to get them. 

Hey again!

I'm glad to to hear your plans regarding the rasbora school. They will be happier for sure:)

And about the kribs being worrisome. I feel you. I've always wanted to keep angels in my community tanks but even some people say they can be peaceful, I've also read and heard many stories about them being actual bullies. So I've never given them a chance sadly. As I mentioned, I've seen someone from a local aquarium forum here posting about their kribs claiming a space that approximately refers to 50x50x50 sized place in the tank, but again, experiences do differ from a person to another. I really believe every fish have their own characters  besides their species behavior. Kribs spending more time at the bottom while rasboras enjoying mid-top side would help I guess. As long as you have a second backup plan, It seems worth giving a try.

You will have numerous stocking options with a 120L planted tank and a rasbora school even if you decide not to go with kribs. 

A whole new tank is always exciting!

Btw, I've found this video for you. The video is mainly about bottom dwellers, which are more likely to disturb the kribs' territory, but I thought it can be helpful as Cory gives some suggestions and talks about his own experience regarding Kribs too.

Edited by Lennie

On 1/11/2023 at 10:11 AM, Brainsponge said:

Looks great. Is that lava rock you used on the right side or something else?

Hey thank you. Sure is, first time I have used it, it's super light and easy to use!

On 1/11/2023 at 9:04 PM, Lennie said:

Hey again!

I'm glad to to hear your plans regarding the rasbora school. They will be happier for sure:)

And about the kribs being worrisome. I feel you. I've always wanted to keep angels in my community tanks but even some people say they can be peaceful, I've also read and heard many stories about them being actual bullies. So I've never given them a chance sadly. As I mentioned, I've seen someone from a local aquarium forum here posting about their kribs claiming a space that approximately refers to 50x50x50 sized place in the tank, but again, experiences do differ from a person to another. I really believe every fish have their own characters  besides their species behavior. Kribs spending more time at the bottom while rasboras enjoying mid-top side would help I guess. As long as you have a second backup plan, It seems worth giving a try.

You will have numerous stocking options with a 120L planted tank and a rasbora school even if you decide not to go with kribs. 

A whole new tank is always exciting!

Btw, I've found this video for you. The video is mainly about bottom dwellers, which are more likely to disturb the kribs' territory, but I thought it can be helpful as Cory gives some suggestions and talks about his own experience regarding Kribs too.

I love aquarium coop videos I will have a look and see if I have watched this one yet! thanks for the info and help

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking great! 

Decided on what you will be adding next? 🙂

I will be stocking my 125L in a couple weeks too! I would love to hear about further plans 😄 Maybe I steal some ideas!

On my last visit, I've seen some beautiful looking Kribs in my lfs. Reminded me of your tank. Even though they are easy to breed, I was not seeing them commonly before.

Would love to hear more!

cheers

On 1/21/2023 at 8:43 PM, Lennie said:

Looking great! 

Decided on what you will be adding next? 🙂

I will be stocking my 125L in a couple weeks too! I would love to hear about further plans 😄 Maybe I steal some ideas!

On my last visit, I've seen some beautiful looking Kribs in my lfs. Reminded me of your tank. Even though they are easy to breed, I was not seeing them commonly before.

Would love to hear more!

cheers

I am starting to move away from the krib pair idea just because if they get territorial the other fish with have nowhere to go.

So I'm thinking of getting another 5 or so rasboras. Some Borneo suckers to do some cleaning. And maybe a single center piece fish like a apisto.

Still sorta deciding but I'm pretty keen on the bigger school of rasboras.

• 3 months later...