Looking for the best lights.

BettaFishCO

So, I know worlds of info on grow lights but not one thing on aquarium lights. I have no idea what spectrums penetrate the best, provide the best light for under water plants, and which ones are good for fish. I know I've spent over 3k on a single black dog fixture before but I'm pretty sure that's not the way to go here.

I looked briefly at Fruval lights (I actually don't know) and I think it's the one that mimics storms. I would like one that can do that as I do breed some stubborn rain season breeders and I suspect it might be at least 1% better then not having it and they were pretty cheap (around 200-240).

Thanks again for the help, so much to learn.

BettaFish...check out Bentley Pascoe on YouTube. He has great videos on lights...especially the Fluval 3.0. 

• Like 2

On 12/23/2022 at 12:25 PM, BettaFishCO said:

Thanks again Patrick,

So I'm new to aquarium plants but I do have some that are supposed to turn pretty red with more light. IDK the strength of light any water plants require or if the par rating crosses over to aquatic plants since the water may change the wave lengths. I'm literally in the dark.

Personally I'd start put with something pretty basic while you’re learning the basics of growing plants. A newly planted tank with a high PAR light can quickly become an algae farm. The tank in my sig used two cheap Nicrew lights and they get the job done at about $70 a piece. 

The Fluval 3.0 is a great mid priced light that's adjustable and has decent PAR when you need it. It's a mass market product and has tons of support. It's color rendition isn't as good as the high end lights but it's less expensive. 

Aquarium Co-op has a new light coming out the looks like it might bridge the quality and price gap between the typical cheap Amazon light and the Fluval 3.0. 

• Like 3

Patrick with the win,

I'm already fairly familiar with algae and light intensity leading to algae. Let's say my first tanks about 4 months ago bloomed like crazy. I definitely want an adjustable light for this reason. The first plant I mastered was algae (kind of on purpose so I would know how to handle it).

I've come across mainly hair algae, black beard (I forget its name), and hydras (its carnivore algae in my book😅). Everything has been treated 2 ways. 1 is with chemicals and the other way has been forms of all natural methods. Both had 100% success and now 2 of the first tanks haven't been changed since treatment (both natural method tanks). I think the most effective method was light starvation.

Now, I actually would love algae in some of my tanks but between my kid'o lights and floaters, it seems impossible even when ferting. My option now is to get a light strong enough that I can increase and decrease algae growth in the tanks I want it in, and that storm affect is pretty neat. 

I thought the fluval was the top of the line, good to know there is more out there. Ive seen some over priced cob lights but wanted more features and just looked pretty basic (their excellent at growing house plants though). Do you know when there light will be out? Im all about co-op. Just watched another video and changed my new fishroom setup to match. The guy also makes a decent betta wall (cups).

Thanks again for all the feed back, this forum is a fast forward forsure.

Also, whats a sig?

On 12/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, BettaFishCO said:

Im all about co-op. Just watched another video and changed my new fishroom setup to match. The guy also makes a decent betta wall (cups).

The Betta wall at the Co-op is spectacular, we live relatively close and I always spend time in the Betta section, admiring the setup as much as the fish. 

Also, whats an sig?

You can add a signature and links to your user profile through your user settings. 

• Like 1

I don't have any first hand experience with expensive lights - I was in full "treat yo self" mode to get the Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus models I got, and they're probably a step down from the Planted 3.0 - but names of high end lights for you to investigate include Chihiros, Twin Star, and Kessil.

Edit: this video is a little Euro-centric but might still be useful:

Edited by Rube_Goldfish
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 6:00 PM, BettaFishCO said:

your talking about his store front walls, yea, those are super nice. I wish they would make them expandable or at least in 100 racks or bigger.

I think you could buy one as large as you want but it’s imported from Europe. They currently have started moving to containers that are 2-3 time bigger

• Like 1

Hey Dr. Pat,

I'm not too worried about container size as this would be my temporary cupping solution before wholesale. But do you have a link for the custom ones? I think last time i went to their site it was only those 35~ or so ones and they were $1500. With the pump and 105-gallon sump, i made a self-watering 150 cup system for around 500 (pump was almost $300). 

On another note, how do I tag people in a reply? or do they get notified no matter what?

@Patrick_G wow, that was easy.

Thanks,

I was looking into fabrication but decided i might just make them myself. I think I need 1500 total and then I would only need replacements. I switched to a mason jar model that should be pretty easy. I don't need it to look nice but I do need it to self-change and clean. Hopefully I have it set up in the next week.

I thought the fluval was the top of the line, good to know there is more out there.

Definitely true that there is more out there.  On the app store(s) check out Aqua Illumination lights as well as Kessil.  Pecktec has videos on his Kessil lights.  I don't know who has a video on those that I would point you towards.  One day I'd enjoy having some AI lights, I enjoy their app design specifically.  I currently run the fluval lights because of the ability to tune them as I see fit.  It's a very helpful feature.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 9:09 PM, BettaFishCO said:

Hey Rube Gold,

Am i on something or are those kissil lights a new type of led? Are they not cob Leds? 

I don't know, truth be told. I just know that they're expensive and seem to grow plants real well (and have a lot of fans on the marine side of the hobby, though those are different). Sorry!

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 9:02 PM, BettaFishCO said:

Do you by chance know if those kissils are a new kind of led? They look like cobs but there is more to them. I couldn't find cob anywhere in the specs on their site. I need deep water growth so if they are cobs or like cobs, ill probably go with them depending on diode strength. 

Let me see if I can find some engineering documents. Do you have a specific light you're looking at?

On 12/23/2022 at 9:05 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Kessils are dope, definitely top of the line to the best of my knowledge. They’re just not needed for most people in my opinion. Maybe in your case where you’re having to penetrate so deep, but I gave you a suggestion in our message that may make sense. 

It's a lot about angle and spotlight for me on deeper tanks. Some lights have a good, what's the term used.... Offcast? It's basically how tight is the focal point on the beam. Some LEDs are a lot better about it. Polarizers and lens shape also play a role.

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 For sure. They’re incredible lights, don’t get me wrong. If I had a custom tank that was deep and I wanted to invest I’d for sure go with Kessils. The shimmer on them is excellent, they’re obviously top notch, and from an aesthetic standpoint the lights themselves are beautiful. I just don’t think that the average person NEEDS them, especially at the price point they are. 

• Like 2

@nabokovfan87 From what i saw they all look to be the same general type. If you can find info on one, i should be able to puzzle the rest of what they have. I'm about 8 year behind on led tech but I was on the cutting edge at the time. I would guess their cob but normally you would advertise that plus it looks like they have an extra component like a transformer or ballast. I couldn't find their type though.