Cycling a filter

TomO

In a few weeks I'll be setting up my 75, but my delivery of 2 large sponge filters for the 75 should arrive this week. Would it be wise for me to run the new sponge filters in my established 55 so that they will cycle faster? If so, how long would you suggest I run them in the 55 gallon?

I saw a recent video from Cory saying that 24 hours in an established tank will seed a sponge filter to help established a new tank.  I'll let a sponge filter go in an established tank for a week to speed up establishing a new tank with good results and I think I remember Cory saying the same in a video.  Keep in mind if you have snails or undesirable alga in the established tank you may also seed the new tank with that.

Edited by Knight00ps

@Knight00ps has it right. Depending on your time line of things, keep those sponge filters in the established tank for a month if possible. If you are using two, move one over after a couple weeks, then the other one later.

I plan on doing this for my quarantine / hospital tank. Keep the sponge in one tank, then its ready when needed for the temporary tanks.

Good Luck!