Here we go! Pearl Gourami ,community, planted low tech 40 gallon breeder

Goldfishgirl

About  a year and a half ago my husband and I decided we were going to fix up and sell our house .It was through tears I re-homed my 75g goldfish and 38g community  tanks.  I kept my 2 5 gallon flex shrimp and betta tanks.

My husband ran into some health issues so progress is slow and I just couldn't stand it. For Christmas He got me a 40 gallon breeder tank. Yes ,I got it early. I do love new projects. I couldn't bring myself to just put one goldfish in a 40 gallon breeder. I know my limits and I know I'm going to buy another fish and it would just take off from there.  I have set up an angel fish tank Community tank before but I truly fell in love with the Pearl Gouramis that were in the tank.  At certain times of the year I get extremely busy so I've chosen to do a low tech tank with a small corner-matten filter, and a simple hang on the back for mechanical filtration.

Brackets are in!

brackets.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 6:27 PM, DaveO said:

Very nice. My last tank I got is a 40b and I love it. There are so many things you can do with this size tank. With that matten filter in there, some shrimp would be a natural. I hope you keep us updated on your new project.

It's funny you should say that because I am going to try and put shrimp in. I don't know if I'll be sending them to their death with the Gourmies. It well be very heavily planted on the filter side. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 10:39 AM, Goldfishgirl said:

It's funny you should say that because I am going to try and put shrimp in. I don't know if I'll be sending them to their death with the Gourmies. It well be very heavily planted on the filter side. 

That should provide enough cover for them to establish and maintain a colony, and you should see some adults out and about grazing.  You aren't likely to see many juveniles in a tank with fish.

• Like 1

I am so excited Matten corner filter  is setup, the back has been painted black. Now I'm testing out equipment. I's a budget build so here's what I ordered.. Hygger lights HG 957, Hygger heater HG 007, and Hygger hang on the back filter. Has anyone used water clarifier? It came with my gravel. it's been a very long time since I started up a tank. would really like to clear up the water. I do plan to do planted tank as soon as the water clears up they'll start going in. 

16720912605383885535902943872276.jpg