Share an unknown talent

nabokovfan87

On 12/20/2022 at 9:23 PM, sairving said:

Back in 2009, I was bored and signed up for a few different classes at one of the local recreation departments. The one class I stuck with was belly dancing. Its way harder than it looks, yes there is proper technique, different styles depending on the country etc. I've made some really good friends and we have fun.     

I tried it a couple times!  It is tricky!  And I recall the stretching - you stretch every finger, your wrists, everything!  I liked the music.  I was not too coordinated for it, but it was just an exercise class, so everybody else was kind of in the same boat. 🙂

On 12/21/2022 at 3:39 AM, drewzero1 said:

just enough euphonium to be dangerous, though I've completely forgotten that now

Trust me, it will come right back to you.  Fun belting out some good ol' JP Sousa.

On 12/20/2022 at 8:20 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Well now we just need to see some 🙂 I vote shark.

Octopus would be a cool balloon animal. @PineSong

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 9:04 AM, JettsPapa said:

I can grow a pretty good beard.

Have you ever mistaken hair algae for beard hair? 

On 12/20/2022 at 8:09 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I play a few instruments. Flute, baritone horn (euphonium), guitar.  

Guitar and drums here!

I also love to bbq, and am a former home brewer, but still a consistent beer drinker. I swing kettlebells to keep somewhat in shape. 

• Like 4

On 12/21/2022 at 12:24 PM, MattyM said:

Have you ever mistaken hair algae for beard hair? 

Not yet.  There's a pretty distinct color difference.  In any case, the long beard is gone.  I took that picture the morning before I had it trimmed.  When I got home that afternoon Jett took one look at me and said "Papa, you got a haircut on your face!"

Guitar and drums here!

I can barely play a radio.

I also love to bbq, and am a former home brewer, but still a consistent beer drinker. I swing kettlebells to keep somewhat in shape. 

I like to eat barbecue, and am also a consistent beer drinker.  I do 12 ounce curls to keep somewhat in shape (I only drink beer in glass bottles, so that's more of a workout than you'd think since they're heavier than cans).

• Haha 5

On 12/20/2022 at 9:23 PM, sairving said:

Back in 2009, I was bored and signed up for a few different classes at one of the local recreation departments. The one class I stuck with was belly dancing. Its way harder than it looks, yes there is proper technique, different styles depending on the country etc. I've made some really good friends and we have fun.     

I've taken 2 belly dancing classes, 1 with veils, and another just a standard class.  You're right, it's very difficult when you're moving different body parts every which way, but it is fun when you can pull some moves off!

• Like 3

On 12/21/2022 at 5:39 PM, DaniV said:

I've taken 2 belly dancing classes, 1 with veils, and another just a standard class.  You're right, it's very difficult when you're moving different body parts every which way, but it is fun when you can pull some moves off!

It is fun! I love when we get to use veils because they are so pretty. Our last session ended a few weeks ago and we were working on a choreography with veils. 13 years of taking classes and barrel turns still make my brain short circuit. The dance is full of barrel turns lol.  

• Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 6:46 PM, sairving said:

It is fun! I love when we get to use veils because they are so pretty. Our last session ended a few weeks ago and we were working on a choreography with veils. 13 years of taking classes and barrel turns still make my brain short circuit. The dance is full of barrel turns lol.  

The last class I took they gave us jingly things to put around our waists.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 11:21 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I tried it a couple times!  It is tricky!  And I recall the stretching - you stretch every finger, your wrists, everything!  I liked the music.  I was not too coordinated for it, but it was just an exercise class, so everybody else was kind of in the same boat. 🙂

What really gives everyone a hard time in the beginning is learning how to do the isolations.  Then you have to start trying to put isolations together.  What I love now is when we have somebody in for a workshop that can fill in cultural information and context.                     

On 12/21/2022 at 5:55 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The last class I took they gave us jingly things to put around our waists.

Hip scarves, especially the ones with beads and metal coins help you see and feel the moves easier. 

• Like 3

On 12/21/2022 at 12:37 PM, SugarBassJoe said:

Any fellow bassist/harmonicist's?

I've forgotten what little bass I ever knew, but still play my harmonicas pretty regularly. It's my only instrument a 2 year old can easily play so they get a lot of play time from both of us. (Though he's got his own accordion now and is learning to make some noise... it's a diatonic one so it's just like playing a harmonica with your fingers.)

Do you play any specific genres? For harmonica I tend towards old (late 19th-early 20th century) standards, and I'm trying to learn more modern rock and blues riffs. Especially bending and a bit of cross harp.

Edited by drewzero1
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 6:32 PM, drewzero1 said:

I've forgotten what little bass I ever knew, but still play my harmonicas pretty regularly. It's my only instrument a 2 year old can easily play so they get a lot of play time from both of us. (Though he's got his own accordion now and is learning to make some noise... it's a diatonic one so it's just like playing a harmonica with your fingers.)

Do you play any specific genres? For harmonica I tend towards old (late 19th-early 20th century) standards, and I'm trying to learn more modern rock and blues riffs. Especially bending and a bit of cross harp.

Well that's awesome, we have a lack of great accordion players, well maybe not a lack of, but none I could name. Ill admit I haven't been as disciplined with my harmonica, especially after I lost my favorite one. I would stick to the rock genre for that, tried to get into blues but it would never stick.

Bass I still try to play everyday. While I like a wide array of genres, I'm a Metalhead at heart 🤘, that being said my two biggest influences are Iron Maiden and Primus. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 4:45 PM, lefty o said:

im a pretty fair trap shooter.

DSC00015.JPG

My Sunday job as a teenager was the cashier at clay shoot. (30 bird sporting )

I was given my first go at the age of 12 failed to hold it into my shoulder enough and got a bruise like the night sky. Still it was a great place to work and lots of fun to be had.

• Like 2

I was into origami as a kid. I could make hundreds of things from memory. My decades as a computer ended that. But I still have a blue green Brown card and know what abend means. I remember the difference between "shift left logical" and "shift left arithmetic" 

I use to belly dance a lot, but only for friends. I could shimmy all the way through "Wipe Out". 

I can't sing or play an instrument, but was in the "only true marching band in the Ivy league", as a manager, chasing hats and music as they blow across the fields. I love music, just can't produce it.

I use to drink Tom Collins when we would go out dancing. I learned to tie the cherry stems in a knot with my tongue.  It much easier than it looks. (Sigh, the useful things you learn as you grow up)

I'm dyslexic. I can read upside down and mirror writing about as fast as I can read normal text. Of course, I can't spell or type. Mom said I had to be a professional when I grew up so someone else would do my typing. I ended up in computers and did all my own typing for decades. Some people use the "hunt and peck" method of typing. I use "search and destroy" method of typing.

I can jump a horse bareback, but cannot ride a bike.  A very random collections of gifts and challenges.

@nabokovfan87 I was a front row hockey fan for years. We would bring 16 inch balloons to blow up at the one minute buzzer and toss them up the stands while the ice was being zamboni-ed. The young and the old had a blast with the balloons. The dignified middle aged folks tried to ignore them as the balloons drifted in front of them while being chased by kids.  I wasn't a hockey player, but I skated in hockey skates because they fit my wide feet.

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Love 2

On 12/23/2022 at 10:05 AM, KittenFishMom said:

@nabokovfan87 I was a front row hockey fan for years. We would bring 16 inch balloons to blow up at the one minute buzzer and toss them up the stands while the ice was being zamboni-ed. The young and the old had a blast with the balloons. The dignified middle aged folks tried to ignore them as the balloons drifted in front of them while being chased by kids.  I wasn't a hockey player, but I skated in hockey skates because they fit my wide feet.

Also definitely helps to not have the toe teeth on there when learning to skate.  😂

Very cool.  Which team have you watched most?  I've been to a whole lot of ducks games.  We did have tickets once that were bottom bowl. Avs game, my grandma was an avs fan and she got the tickets.  One of the times when she first was sick I'm sure.  I opted to stay home so someone else could go, despite being the one hockey person in the family.  A little while later, my uncle won some extra money in vegas and he used that to take us to the stanley cup finals.  I sat on the middle tier, no obstructed views or anything, right over Brodeur's right shoulder.  It was literally one of the worst games of his career, but it also one of the most impactful ones.  I got a Giguere jersey that day, first time I was ever able to get one, and it was special because it was a stitched one and has the patch from that series.  That was the year he won the Conn Smythe. 

My other memorable game..... yet again involves a story, but I looked up to the sky the day before deciding to go and there was a gigantic shark in the sky.  It was my first "home game" for the sharks so to speak.  Hosting the kings up in Levi's stadium.  Not a joke, they added some of the cheap metal chairs zip tied on the top balcony of the stadium.  Yeah, you're not seeing the puck there, but to be at that game was really special.  I was a sharks fan from so cal, sat next to a kings fan from Oakland and we just enjoyed the game and tried not to freeze to death.

Just one of those things, a slightly different opportunity as a kid and I know I would've at least gotten to a semi-pro/professional realm.  Not saying I was that good, but that's the love for the game that I have.  I definitely miss it.  Would like to coach one day.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 12:05 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I can read upside down and mirror writing about as fast as I can read normal text.

Me too. I decided one year during high school that I was going to use all my 'I'm the only one done with the assignment' time to learn to read upside down. It didn't take very long.

Now reading sideways while holding a picture book so my kids can see it is a different story.

@Katherine I never learned to read upside down or sideways. Letters spin around on me all the time.  It was not any different for me to read sideways or upside down as it was to read right side up. Learning to read was very hard for me. I was reading first grade level in 4th grade. It didn't matter which way I held the book, it was all the same to me. I never read textbooks in college. I memorized everything the first time I heard it in lecture. I still read slowly compared to other adults. You develop compansating skills. When you can't do one thing, you figure out how to do something else.  I often misspell words, or leave one out or use the wrong word. I know I need to carefully proofread everything I type. You can tell from my posts I often miss mistakes. I often tell people "English was my second language, I never had a first." Luckily I married a wonderful man who learned to speaks, reads and writes 5 languages. He proofreads anything of mine that matters. I don't make him proofread my posts. 

• Like 2

On 12/23/2022 at 7:33 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I never learned to read upside down or sideways. Letters spin around on me all the time.  It was not any different for me to read sideways or upside down as it was to read right side up. Learning to read was very hard for me. I was reading first grade level in 4th grade. It didn't matter which way I held the book, it was all the same to me

I clearly misunderstood your post. Sorry!