Share an unknown talent

nabokovfan87

Needless to say, we spend some time here and get to know one another.  It also might be pretty easy to leave out / not mention certain talents if they exist given the nature of it being a forum specifically about fishkeeping. 

Please take a second, feel free to share a talent you might not share regularly on here.  I know sometimes being vulnerable isn't easy, but it is a good quality to have (I think).

I will share mine tomorrow, once I find something of quality to share.

For now here is something about me:

I used to play street hockey every day, literally, growing up.  We don't have ice and so roller / street was just the way I got to enjoy something I loved.  I did eventually get to play some ice hockey, I did get to skate in an NHL arena, and I did get to meet a pretty epic athlete center ice at the pond and get my skate/gloves signed.  I did score a goal, even as a non-offensive defensemen, and I definitely feel like I missed out on my calling going amateur / pro due to just literally not having the guidance needed to make that push.  Meaning, I had the heart for that type of effort, but I just never had someone guide me on how to get to my goal.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 10:31 AM, SugarBassJoe said:

I got a dumb one, well more like useless. I can stand most brooms up, some are easier than others, push brooms give me a hard time.

image.jpeg.d05d8c4f25dec806014d06f4820c3d76.jpeg

If you ever wanna do something fun you go into Walmart and you go to the hardware section and suction a toilet plunger to the floor. Trust me it’s almost impossible to get it off the floor once it’s stuck there. Then you go in the next aisle, circle back,  and casually stroll by and discreetly glance down plunger aisle while pushing your cart and browsing items, to see what unsuspecting victim or employee is struggling to detach the thing.

Not that I’ve ever done this..

Naw..

Who would ever..?

😇

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/20/2022 at 8:32 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

If you ever wanna do something fun you go into Walmart and you go to the hardware section and suction a toilet plunger to the floor. Trust me it’s almost impossible to get it off the floor once it’s stuck there. Then you go in the next aisle, circle back,  and casually stroll by and discreetly glance down plunger aisle while pushing your cart and browsing items, to see what unsuspecting victim or employee is struggling to detach the thing.

Not that I’ve ever done this..

Naw..

Who would ever..?

😇

Not proud of myself, but I've done this, what's worse is I was employee working the overnight stocking shift at the local target (keep in mind I was around 20 at the time). There was a bit of a rivalry between Graveyard and Day shift, any chance we got to mess with each other was pretty standard. I forget what dayshift did to us but I remember working the electronics section for a while, so we turned all the DVDs upside down, we got a talking to the next night, worth it though. Don't feel to bad for day shift though, their big thing was to rearrange sections of the store, knowing we'd have to put it back together in order to do our job, good times.

• Haha 2

Over the past year, I've really gotten into aerial silks and lyra.  I was originally looking for a reasonably priced yoga studio and found a fitness studio that offered it plus a ton of other classes, including aerials.  Figured "eh, why not?" and gave it a try, and I fell in love instantly!  I'm considered intermediate level on the lyra and high beginner on the silks.  It's so much fun!

• Like 5

I can make balloon animals. Not sure this counts as a talent, but it's something that most folks who know me would not suspect. 

The backstory is that when I was a teenager I found out my mother could juggle. I was surprised that she had kept that under wraps throughout my childhood and was impressed that she had this playful aspect. When I became a mom, I thought I should also have a playful secret talent, so I learned to make balloon animals.

As a bonus, it was a living example of something I teach in my work, exposure therapy: As a child I was terrified of balloons because I hated the unpredictable loud noise of them popping, and then I hated being teased for being so bothered by it. Well, you pop a LOT of balloons learning to make balloon animals. So, through steady exposure that was voluntary, I became desensitized to it and now I could actually pop balloons for fun 🙂 Double win!

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Back in 2009, I was bored and signed up for a few different classes at one of the local recreation departments. The one class I stuck with was belly dancing. Its way harder than it looks, yes there is proper technique, different styles depending on the country etc. I've made some really good friends and we have fun.     

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/20/2022 at 8:09 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I play a few instruments. Flute, baritone horn (euphonium), guitar.  

A secondary talent would be the ability to make a weedwhacker sound using just my mouth.  TOP THAT! 😆🤡

I'm a band geek for life! I played alto sax and clarinet in school. On my own I also picked up ukulele, guitar, harmonica, accordion, and mandolin. (Plus just enough euphonium to be dangerous, though I've completely forgotten that now.)

A few years ago I had the opportunity to be a background musician on my sister-in-laws' album and played accordion, harmonica, and cajon (box drum)... it was a lot of fun being in the studio but I'm not sure my performance was really worth pressing to disc. (But technically, I'm now a published musician!) Nowadays I mostly just get out my accordion and harmonicas when my toddler asks for a dance party. He has a lot of fun asking me to play different songs for him and dancing around the house, and if I practice by myself I can never think of what songs to play.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 12/20/2022 at 5:26 PM, PineSong said:

I can make balloon animals. Not sure this counts as a talent, but it's something that most folks who know me would not suspect. 

The backstory is that when I was a teenager I found out my mother could juggle. I was surprised that she had kept that under wraps throughout my childhood and was impressed that she had this playful aspect. When I became a mom, I thought I should also have a playful secret talent, so I learned to make balloon animals.

As a bonus, it was a living example of something I teach in my work, exposure therapy: As a child I was terrified of balloons because I hated the unpredictable loud noise of them popping, and then I hated being teased for being so bothered by it. Well, you pop a LOT of balloons learning to make balloon animals. So, through steady exposure that was voluntary, I became desensitized to it and now I could actually pop balloons for fun 🙂 Double win!

My wife can also.  She worked as a clown for about 20 years (children's birthday parties, store openings, etc, not circus).  She's an incredible face painter also.

• Like 1