Starlight Bristlenose Curled Tail and Not Moving

Mattlikesfish36

I recently noticed that my starlight bristlenose pleco hasn’t been eating or moving around the tank much if at all. The tail has been curled around to the right and has not moved from this position in a few days. Everything seemed fine with her and I’ve had her for 2 years without any issues. Should I be concerned? I’m not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I’m so grateful for this forum and all of the folks who have helped me out with other topics!

773D29B8-3C5B-4A8C-9DFD-E2A6B7CE87F0.jpeg

Have you tried putting a net into the water right next to her? I find that is one of the best ways to find if a fish is still alive. I would move it to a QT tank, for better observation. Also perhaps its a temperature issue but i doubt it. 

If thats the picture after a few days, i doubt its dead. It would be fungused/eaten if it was dead.

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 12/22/2022 at 6:53 AM, Colu said:

Sorry for late reply I would be that not normal behavior for bristlenose pleco it could be a bacterial infection or something else going on what are your water parameters @Mattlikesfish36

@Coluthanks for the reply. Tank is stable and established for over a year. Nitrates at around 10. Ammonia and nitrites at 0. Temp steady at 76 degrees. 

On 12/20/2022 at 10:26 AM, Theplatymaster said:

Have you tried putting a net into the water right next to her? I find that is one of the best ways to find if a fish is still alive. I would move it to a QT tank, for better observation. Also perhaps its a temperature issue but i doubt it. 

If thats the picture after a few days, i doubt it’s dead. It would be fungused/eaten if it was dead.

@Theplatymasterthanks for your reply. Gills are still moving and she will swim a few inches if I put the net next to her. Definitely not as active as usual though. 

On 12/22/2022 at 11:55 AM, Mattlikesfish36 said:

@Coluthanks for the reply. Tank is stable and established for over a year. Nitrates at around 10. Ammonia and nitrites at 0. Temp steady at 76 degrees. 

What I would do if you can is quarantine and do a course of kanaplex from my experience with bristlenose pleco they are really sick by the time you notice behavior like this after a course of kanaplex if your seeing no improvement I would follow up with a course of paracleanse that will cover most bases and repeat the paracleanse in two weeks from the first course 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 7:00 AM, Colu said:

What I would do if you can is quarantine and do a course of kanaplex from my experience with bristlenose pleco they are really sick by the time you notice behavior like this after a course of kanaplex if your seeing no improvement I would follow up with a course of paracleanse that will cover most bases and repeat the paracleanse in two weeks from the first course 

@Coluthanks so much for the advice. I’ll give it a shot and see how it goes 

On 12/22/2022 at 7:00 AM, Colu said:

@Coluone more question that just came to mind… is it worth treating the entire tank since my other fish were probably exposed too? It’s stocked with a pair of fire red apistos and ember tetras. If so… is it safe to use kanaplex with plants? Thanks so much!

On 12/22/2022 at 1:33 PM, Mattlikesfish36 said:

@Coluone more question that just came to mind… is it worth treating the entire tank since my other fish were probably exposed too? It’s stocked with a pair of fire red apistos and ember tetras. If so… is it safe to use kanaplex with plants? Thanks so much!

I would quarantine and treat I would only treat the main tank if other fish are showing symptoms 

• Thanks 1