Age limit on breeding Bettas?

SugarBassJoe

I've read bettas are best bred under a year of age. Recently acquired a female koi betta with an idea in the back of my mind to breed her with my male halfmoon, however it'll be a year with him in January, I couldn't tell you how long he had been at the store before I picked him up (I'm guessing he was already a year old at that time).  So would it be unethical to attempt this? I've no experience with breeding bettas, and I don't want to do any harm to either, or consequently breed a high number of unhealthy fish. I'm not entirely sold on this idea at the moment, as I have 4 other breeding projects I'm currently engaged in, so I wont be disappointed if this is a bad idea, so no need to sugar coat anything for me. Eventually I do plan to do breed a pair of bettas, though it doesn't have to be this pair, but I am interested to hear from anyone who has bred them. Thanks! 

Ive had a year old veil tail from a lfs that has produced around 200 fry successfully. I think it depends more on health and its just going to be more rare for large batches that are cared for enough to make them survive. I would think females are a bigger factor then males anyways. Best thing you can do is try and share your knowledge with us.

• Thanks 1