Mysterious Consistent Deaths

Another Jake

Tank: 20L, Planted, hang-on-back with sponges and bio-media, air stone, 75F, almost no algae.

pH: 7.5  |  Ammonia: 0  |  Nitrite: 0  |  Nitrate: 20  |  KH: 5  |  GH: 9

For the last few days, I've had about a single death per day... Cardinal Tetras, CPDs, and Ember Tetras... It's random. No visible symptoms like ich or fungus. Just each morning I'm finding one fish at the bottom either obviously struggling to live or dead and being eaten by shrimp. ...The shrimp are doing great.

Right now I have one Ember that might be breathing fast. All the other fish seem fine. The CPDs are even doing that little dance that they do with each other.

Please let me know what you think I should do. Should I treat the tank and just hope it's something unseen? Is 20 too high for nitrates for these fish? It's not spiking anything. It's all very steady. I feed a mix of flakes, bug bites, frozen daphnia, live baby brine, and occasionally dried tubifex worms. I don't think I'm over feeding, but I could be wrong.

Any help is much appreciated. The schools are down to their minimum numbers now and I'm not adding anything until this is sorted out.

• Administrators

Nothing stands out so far. Do you have a picture of the tank? Maybe we'll see something on the fish?  When was the last time you changed water? I'm not advocating you need to, just trying to get the whole picture. 20ppm nitrates should be no problem at all. 

CORRECTION! Spots! I don't know how I missed it. I could swear they weren't there hours ago. It's a bad picture, because they're small, but that dot on the tail. I'm now seeing about 5 spots on most of the fish. No idea how this got in the tank. It's been weeks since I added anything other than plants. If it's Ich, I guess that'd explain the sudden deaths.

20201101_184859.jpg.5698c1c06ba5581bc535debad5b247a1.jpg

20201101_184918.jpg

20201101_184853.jpg

• Administrators

Well typically ich doesn't kill things suddenly. However stress usually causes ich to break out. This can be one of those things where people don't notice all the things going wrong. For the time being I would be dosing Ich X and following the instructions. 

I will start the treatment now. I'll try to be really gentle with things for a while. I've made some changes to the tank recently. A few new plants and a new light and lid. The changes might have upset things. I knew these fish are sensitive. Guess I didn't think they were THAT sensitive. Anyway, thanks!

This little guy survived the night, but is in even more serious shape this morning, barely able to navigate the mild currents of the tank. Symptoms seemingly coming from nowhere, rapid degradation. Loss of color came overnight. No visible fungus. All other fish well colored and doing fine. I'm including a couple tank pics just to show what it's like.

No predators in the tank. Some small number of hydra 😞 but I'll deal with them later. Healthy shrimp, pond snails, some few scuds that tagged along with something.

ezgif-7-0400d77ca6f7.gif.933d2f75527d6b10efb1916255820750.gif

20201102_214314.jpg

20201102_214644.jpg

That’s a beautiful tank! Is it possible the ich could be a secondary infection? Like Cory said, it will start affecting fish when they’re stressed. One cause of stress could be a bacterial infection or virus or something similar.

When my fish have died of ich they’re covered in lots of obvious white spots. I don’t think ich is killing these fish (but if it’s all up in their gills or something it’s possible). 

Merk manuals describes a few bacterial infections that sound plausible here. In particular it says this about gram positive bacteria: 

Infections are uncommon but can cause significant mortality (>50%) when they do occur. Chronic infections may continue for weeks, with only a few fish dying each day. ... A characteristic manifestation of Streptococcus infection is neurologic disease, often manifest by spinning or spiraling in the water column.

They recommend treatment with erythromycin. Again, I’m no expert but it might be worth a try. Rooting for you and your fishes!!

mm_micro_logo.png
WWW.MERCKVETMANUAL.COM

Learn about the veterinary topic of Bacterial Diseases of Fish. Find specific details on this topic and related topics from the Merck Vet Manual.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...