New breeding project

BlueLineAquaticsSC

I currently have a 40g shrimp and guppy breeder going and 3 other tanks cycling now 20H, 20L, 30g that I wanted to start some breeding in. 

My LFS requested a species of Cory and CPDs. I recently watched the members video on Cory breeding and had wanted to try hasbrosis, so I feel like I have a good starting point there. Any tips for breeding CPDs, and suggestions for the third tank?

I know nothing about CPD but I have been successfully breeding my panda cories for over a year now and I love it!  I have done it a bunch of different ways and there are other things you can do I haven't even tried too. 

Awhile back I made 2 posts. This one is kinda a guide on all the things to do to get the eggs. It's a comment within the post rather than the actual post. 

This one is the post itself and is several different things you can do after you get the eggs. Not all of these steps are needed depending on your goals. You can even breed cories without pulling eggs if you aren't worried about maximizing yield and if you have enough stuff to keep the eggs from being eaten!

• Like 1

I’ve bred my Albino Cory’s and Julii Cory’s. I haven’t done Habrosus but I figure they would be similar. I simply grow them out, feed well (I do flake, pellets, and bloodworms), do regular water changes, and watch for eggs. Once I see eggs I hatch them in a tumbler. Once hatched I raise them up! I’ve never watched the weather and tried to do cold water changes when a rainstorm is approaching or anything like that. My recent spawn of Julii’s are in my journal if you wanna take a look. 

When I started with my CPD’s my intention was to breed them. However, the tank is too small to hold the Tupperware of Java Moss I’d want to actually try to breed them. I tried a small cup of Java moss when the tank was young, but quickly gave in and realized if I wanted to breed them it would need to be in a different tank. If I was to try again, I’d use a 10 gallon or 20 Long with Java Moss filled shallow Tupperware. Grow them out, feed well, water change regularly, and once I saw spawning behavior I would check the Tupperware for eggs. Once I had confirmed eggs I would move that Java Moss container to a different tank, or move the adults to a different tank. A divided 20 long means you can “move the adults to a different tank” by moving them over the divider. Doing that, you could have Java Moss containers on each side and once you move them over the divider they can start laying the next batch of eggs. Hatch the eggs, and then feed up the fry. I would hope they would take Sera Micron or First Bites until they could take baby brine shrimp. If they didn’t take that I would either use boiled egg yolk or would start a vinegar eel culture. 

Probably doesn’t mean much that I haven’t personally done the CPD’s, but that’s how I would attempt it if I was giving it a serious go this time around. 

• Like 2

I would say go for it! Corydora are some of the most fun fish to breed in my opinion and raising up the eggs/fry is straightforward! I myself just put the eggs I find in a little box and hang it on the side of the tank with an airstone and lots of java moss. I throw a couple shrimp in there who clean off the eggs and keep everything under control (nanny shrimp if you will) and then once they hatch they are super responsive to almost all types of food! Any fry or powdered food gets gobbled up and brine shrimp are definitely a fave!

CPDs are a tad tricky just because their fry are SO tiny and hard to find. I have my second gen in a tank right now but I'm not actively trying to breed them at the moment; I've just let them go and live their life and I see one or two fry who show up every once in a while. When I was actively trying my best success was putting a cup with lots of moss in one corner, with a mesh bottom, and stacked in another cup. The eggs would fall down to the second cup through the mesh and then I could just grab the bottom cup every couple days and siphon out the eggs. Then copy paste of the shrimp/moss/box method for hatching and some itty bitty fry foods. Vinegar eels are sometimes too big at first but they're an awesome option.

On 12/18/2022 at 10:15 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

A divided 20 long means you can “move the adults to a different tank” by moving them over the divider. Doing that, you could have Java Moss containers on each side and once you move them over the divider they can start laying the next batch of eggs. 

This would be a fantastic set up! Having two sides both with moss to maximize output is genius! If I ever have a real go at this species again I may use this method and see how it works out! I love nerms and their ingenuity!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 10:50 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@itsfoxtail I wish I could take credit for the idea. I’m pretty sure I heard the Nerm King @Cory mention that method on a livestream. 

Ah, understandable. I feel like most of us just need a permanent Cory bibliography at the ends of our posts because most of what we do we probably once heard somewhere from deep within in the ACO info vaults.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:02 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

Thanks for the tips, I’m exciting start trying soon. 

You should make a journal to chronicle along your journey! I'm sure some people, myself included, would love to follow along!

Can’t comment on cories but I’ve found CPDs to be the easiest fish I’ve ever bred. Chucked in a little cup with Java moss, bam, eggs, bam, fry. 
Raising them is a different story. I’m yet to succeed in this. I think feeding is the problem, as they’re so tiny. I’m not sure how to get around that.