Prednisone Crazy

PineSong

This is the first time in my life I've been on prednisone and it has made me absolutely bonkers. Insomnia, failures in multi-tasking, hyperactivity on top of my baseline of being super hyper, constant gnawing hunger resulting my eating through a veritable smorgasbord-per-day, and the symptom least like myself--impulse purchasing! 

The good news is that I went to the ACO website for some anubias nana petite and while I was there I added one of the new-to-me anubias hastafolia before they got sold out again.

The prednisone part is that I did it all without remembering I had made a purchase--just found it on my front step this morning!

Good thing I wasn't in the market for a car, or a horse, or a boat. Actually,  I would like a horse....

Appaloosa.jpg.aa86f4120d5bffd68a0f073778e8f637.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/16/2022 at 6:32 PM, PineSong said:

This is the first time in my life I've been on prednisone and it has made me absolutely bonkers. Insomnia, failures in multi-tasking, hyperactivity on top of my baseline of being super hyper, constant gnawing hunger resulting my eating through a veritable smorgasbord-per-day, and the symptom least like myself--impulse purchasing! 

The good news is that I went to the ACO website for some anubias nana petite and while I was there I added one of the new-to-me anubias hastafolia before they got sold out again.

The prednisone part is that I did it all without remembering I had made a purchase--just found it on my front step this morning!

Good thing I wasn't in the market for a car, or a horse, or a boat. Actually,  I would like a horse....

Appaloosa.jpg.aa86f4120d5bffd68a0f073778e8f637.jpg

I once had a Dalmatian like that horse…named Coco! 

Anubias are a fail-safe cure against insomnia!

• Haha 1

I’m so sorry. I have Crohn’s disease and one of the common drugs that used to be used in treatment. I have sent up to 8 month at a time on it. My face was as round as this orangutan.

5E075F92-20B7-474D-8839-0BE015DA9803.jpeg.7d0d9753cebc46903f3f1aa26440ac48.jpegalong with the incredible hungry and extra water retention along with the mood changes I’m sure I was a joy to be around. 

• Sad 2

On 12/16/2022 at 2:16 PM, rockfisher said:

I’m so sorry. I have Crohn’s disease and one of the common drugs that used to be used in treatment. I have sent up to 8 month at a time on it. My face was as round as this orangutan.

5E075F92-20B7-474D-8839-0BE015DA9803.jpeg.7d0d9753cebc46903f3f1aa26440ac48.jpegalong with the incredible hungry and extra water retention along with the mood changes I’m sure I was a joy to be around. 

Oh, I cannot even  imagine being on it so long and I’m sorry you had to, but I’m also glad it’s there for you when you need it. Crohn’s is a bear, and I wish all the best to you in dealing with it!

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 10:56 AM, Guppysnail said:

I feel for you. I’ve been stuck with prednisone a few times. It makes me unrecognizable. I get very short tempered, angry, and grouchy to the point I cannot tolerate being around myself. Hope you feel better soon. 

I makes me feel grouchy and short tempered too. I wish my doc would have told me that becoming a jerk was a definite possibility on this drug!

• Like 2

I am sorry, @PineSong.  That sucks! 

As it has been explained to me, Prednisone is essentially an artificial stress hormone.  I have been on it once.  For poison ivy.  At the same dose they give chemo patients, I later found out. 

The funny thing was I was at a dinner with a friend who knows me pretty well.  My next dose needed to be taken with that dinner, so I had largely come down at that point.  But about 30 minutes after taking the pill, I could tell it was back on!  My friend said it was funny watching the change in me.  She said for the first time since knowing me I "looked stressed out"!  She had taken Prednisone (at a much lower dose) and found it to be a non-event.  Her hypothesis was that as someone who just doesn't experience stress, I had never developed any coping mechanism for being stressed out before.  😂 

Sorry.  I am not trying to make light of your situation.  When it sucks, it does in a serious way!  I think you are there, and I hope that the course of treatment isn't too long.  I'd offer advice, but I found nothing helped really.  Just focusing on when it would be over.  Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The NHS advice about the insomnia is to take it in the mornings so it's at the lowest concentration at bed time.  

Oh and try to snack high protein low carb I have a lot of long term steroid takers in the family and following a keto (ish) diet plan helps with the water retention and weight gain.

Fingers crossed this will do it's job and you'll be off them soon. Look up steroid fog you might be able to find some helpful advise for managing some of the side effects this drug seems to commonly cause

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:59 AM, Flumpweesel said:

The NHS advice about the insomnia is to take it in the mornings so it's at the lowest concentration at bed time.  

Oh and try to snack high protein low carb I have a lot of long term steroid takers in the family and following a keto (ish) diet plan helps with the water retention and weight gain.

Fingers crossed this will do it's job and you'll be off them soon. Look up steroid fog you might be able to find some helpful advise for managing some of the side effects this drug seems to commonly cause

The NHS is right! And I wish that my doctor had told me about the protein idea when she wrote the prescription--I hate hours wasted in a food coma because I ate too many carbs, and that's exactly what happened the first two nights before I learned.

I am almost done with the taper now and hope to never take it again, but if I do, I will manage it better from the get-go! Thanks for the wisdom and well wishes.

• Like 3

Predinsone makes me jittery. My doctor gives it to me for sinus infections sometimes, usually when I'm coughing pretty bad or had it for a month and a half (don't yell at me). If I have to be on steroids much prefer the methylprednisolone dose packs. Sometimes though, they do keep me up part of the night.  Try to take the steroids in the morning, unless your on the dose pack.

Now, augmentin...I know its a hit it with a sludge hammer antibiotic but sometimes it causes intestinal issues.  Currently on day 5 for a sinus infection and I've lucked out this time.   

Feel better!

Edited by sairving
  • Sad 1

On 12/20/2022 at 8:05 PM, sairving said:

Predinsone makes me jittery. My doctor gives it to me for sinus infections sometimes, usually when I'm coughing pretty bad or had it for a month and a half (don't yell at me). If I have to be on steroids much prefer the methylprednisolone dose packs. Sometimes though, they do keep me up part of the night.  Try to take the steroids in the morning, unless your on the dose pack.

Now, augmentin...I know its a hit it with a sludge hammer antibiotic but sometimes it causes intestinal issues.  Currently on day 5 for a sinus infection and I've lucked out this time.   

Feel better!

had augmentim once, never again. its hard not being able to venture more than 30' away from the bathroom for a month.

• Sad 1