sterilize Co-Op sponge filter after quarantine

Mark303

I bought an extra Aquarium Co-Op sponge filter to be cycled and ready for a hospital / quarantine tank. I have watched the Co-Op videos on sterilizing a tank and how to do maintenance cleaning of a sponge filter but they didn't really mention (or I missed) how to clean and sterilize the sponge after disease. I guess I am mainly concerned on how to safely clean a sponge with bleach. My instincts is just to replace the sponge and airstone and sterilize the plastic portion of the filter, but don't see a replacement sponge for sale without buying a whole new filter. 

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Mark303

Me personally, I would either A) use hydrogen peroxide, rinse super well, completely air dry. Or B) soak in bleach, and then soak in water with extra dechlorinator as the dechlorinator will break down the bleach. I would personally do a couple heavy dechlorinator soaks, followed by lots of fresh running water, and then completely air dry 

• Like 1

Your two safest methods are hydrogen peroxide soak or soaking for 12 hours in the dark in seltzer water then sticking it into a pail of plain aerated water. Peroxide is quicker but seltzer will vibrate gunk out better. 
No bacteria or parasites can survive either process. For more info on seltzer water here is the thread. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 4

On 12/16/2022 at 11:10 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Me personally, I would either A) use hydrogen peroxide, rinse super well, completely air dry. Or B) soak in bleach, and then soak in water with extra dechlorinator as the dechlorinator will break down the bleach. I would personally do a couple heavy dechlorinator soaks, followed by lots of fresh running water, and then completely air dry 

been toying with the same concept in B here as I soon will take down my QT (and get it out of the bathroom finally to give us a break from the clutter).  anyway, i was thinking of actually running the sponge filter with an airline during the bleaching and dechlorinating process too, maybe 24hrs on each step.  Planning to put the sponge in a canister filter try to reseed for next time.

I’ve bleached and heavily dechlorinated tanks that I bought used. Dechlorinated several times after bleaching, completely air dried, and then set up and haven’t had issues. It’s a little scary, but if done properly you shouldn’t have issues. 

I’ve also heard @Cory mention in recent livestreams that “dechlorinator makes bleach in the process of taking out the chlorine” but he’s kind of skipped quickly past that. Maybe he’ll go more in-depth for us soon as I’m definitely no chemist, but have to dechlorinate my water 

I prefer hydrogen peroxide but a nice hot wash and a little time in the sun works well. I sterilize the gravel and scape rocks with the sun. If you totally let the sponge dry out it will kill most or all of the disease and bacteria good/bad, as most can’t survive without being in water. I would stay away from bleach even though it is safe at lower amounts. During the hurricane Ian it was 1 teaspoon of bleach/5 gallons of water to make it safe to drink. 

Edited by rockfisher

• 2 weeks later...