Do I really need planted substrate?

zpayne10

Is there a hard-and-fast rule about the use of planted substrate or not? I intend on having some vals and crypts, and of course anubias and mosses, but not worried about them as much. Should I be looking at a true planted substrate, or can I get something inert and add root tabs?

All of my tanks are at least moderately planted, and none of them have special high dollar substrate.  They have either pool filter sand or Black Diamond sandblasting sand, depending on which color I wanted.  Plants grow just fine, with or without root tabs.

The last two I set up, and probably all of them moving forward, have an inch or so of dry cow manure on the bottom, and then 2" of sand on top to hold it down.  That seems to be working well (and I have cows, so the manure was free).

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

You 100% don't, nor do you need root tabs. Pick the one that looks best to you. Keeping the size on the pebble/grain smaller helps by creating more surface area. But it's definitely not necessary.

Can I easily get away with something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-0-5-cu-ft-Bagged-Pea-Gravel-Pebble-Landscape-Rock-54255/202523000

I like the natural look, and for $5 a bag you really can't beat it. I'll wash anything before it goes into a tank.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 10:49 AM, zpayne10 said:

Can I easily get away with something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-0-5-cu-ft-Bagged-Pea-Gravel-Pebble-Landscape-Rock-54255/202523000

I like the natural look, and for $5 a bag you really can't beat it. I'll wash anything before it goes into a tank.

I've seen people post they have used that. Should be fine if chemical free.

On 12/15/2022 at 11:49 AM, zpayne10 said:

I think that's the exact gravel I've got in my 75. Works fine.

I’ve had good luck with a bit of the expensive stuff capped with something cheap like sand or gravel. I’ve also had good luck with inert Eco-complete. If you’ve have a little flexibility in the budget I’d go for the layered method, but I know that even a small bag of aquasoil can be crazy expensive so you should feel confident using just gravel if that’s what your budget allows. 

I've used gravel (probably my favorite) and Eco Complete. I'm just now playing with Fluval Stratum uncapped and some capped with sand. Personally I think it all works and it's more about preference and maybe even sometimes what you're keeping (for example some say Cory like to root around in sand, but they have been succesfully kept on gravel and other substrates). 

On 12/16/2022 at 8:39 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I've used gravel (probably my favorite) and Eco Complete. I'm just now playing with Fluval Stratum uncapped and some capped with sand. Personally I think it all works and it's more about preference and maybe even sometimes what you're keeping (for example some say Cory like to root around in sand, but they have been succesfully kept on gravel and other substrates). 

Thanks for the insight! I definitely want to do what will give me the most success, but also doesn't break the bank (i.e. is it really worth $200+ for Stratum)!

On 12/16/2022 at 10:48 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@zpayne10 yes Stratum sure isn't cheap. Honestly the only reason I'm trying it now is because it's in a Nano tank so it's much more affordable when you don't have to buy the big bag- or multiple bags for that matter. 

You'll be just as happy with any of the other alternatives I'm sure 

I think I might take a page out of all the comments here - do a layer of stratum of 1-1.5", and then cap with a sand. I think a white sand would look great to contrast the green plants (since I will go pretty heavily planted).

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 11:49 AM, zpayne10 said:

That's whats in my 75g. Wash it, then wash it three more times but it works great and it allowed me to spend the difference on other stuff

0C386AAF-8012-4AA8-B09F-27F0A6EFF81B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 6:33 PM, Brainsponge said:

That's whats in my 75g. Wash it, then wash it three more times but it works great and it allowed me to spend the difference on other stuff

0C386AAF-8012-4AA8-B09F-27F0A6EFF81B.jpeg

That looks great! My concern, too, is that if I went with something like stratum how it'l be when it breaks down. I don't want it to be something that I need to replace or cap regularly to compensate.

• Like 1

I run inert substrate in all my tanks with ferts. I don't know how long it will take the stratum to run out of what you're paying extra for but I do know it will eventually run out. With inert and ferts I can adjust/increase/decrease nutrients as needed. That's just what works for me.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 6:53 PM, Brainsponge said:

I run inert substrate in all my tanks with ferts. I don't know how long it will take the stratum to run out of what you're paying extra for but I do know it will eventually run out. With inert and ferts I can adjust/increase/decrease nutrients as needed. That's just what works for me.

Yup, I know that even the "best" of the planted soils eventually run out and you need to supplement. Since I play to fertilize and supplement from the start, I wasn't too concerned. Maybe I'll look at a "compromise" option of getting Seachem Flourite or Caribsea Eco-Complete. I know they're also inert, but maybe being a more clay-like material gives me a higher beneficial bacteria?

On 12/17/2022 at 7:07 PM, Brainsponge said:

Maybe. Beneficial bacteria works off/replicates/multiples on surface area. So I'd say gravel will have more surface area as far as I know. 

You may be right, but I wouldn't let that have much effect on substrate choices.  I suspect very few tanks really need more surfaces for the beneficial bacteria.

A friend did an experiment the used eco-complete(planted substrate), BDBS( black diamond blasting sand(inert) and larger gravel. The results turn out the no you don’t need a planted substrate. Here hat I feel it does it does hold the nutrients you to your tank mainly fertilizer tabs into longer. The nutrients that are added to the tank that are liquids are most used up before they settle in the substrate. The planted substrate( I only used eco-complete) also does have the ability to grow bacteria faster in the beginning. The only issue is it diminishing  returns on the planted substrates because what is in the substrate is used up and depending on who you read/listen to in 6 month to 2 years. I tend to fall in the middle. I personally like the BDBS it does require more fertilizer tabs in the start but after about 6 months I feel that it has started to build the bacteria need to break down the nutrients and harbor beneficial bacteria to break down nitrogen at the last stages. 0DDB7FCD-E60E-4402-9318-54E1DB4E6168.jpeg.2b2e5ae17ced0c3127e34b93b7fa6036.jpegThe area left of the line is eco and the right is BDBS. The plant grow is almost identical and if he does tell people there are two differences Black Substrates people don’t notice. The one time that I personally have had a time that I believe a planted substance is a must is if you ever use moss to carpet the bottom for the aquarium. I have seen that it has makes a notice difference. Like I mentioned before after the initial befit you basically treat a planted and inert the same as far as care and fertilizing. I like the BDBS just for the look ,cleaning, and how easy and inexpensive it is to use. I can move things like plants every easy to change the tanks to fit the needs of the fish/breeding or just a fresh look in an older tank. It vacs easy as well. I think which ever way you good that there is not going to be a harmful choice except and very fine sand.  Good luck 

I did see some say you not need root tabs. I’m going to disagree in part. Many plants need or greatly benefit from root tabs as they are root feeders. One of the most basic aquarium plants Amazon swords/ most swords almost need to have root tabs and actually quite a bit. To get the most of of them for sure you need root tabs. Many plants get nutrients(not feed, plants don’t feed) from the water column and would not benefit from root tabs much. 
BDBS7CBD999B-6FBB-4F5A-8924-32F036D61804.jpeg.7bd1edee7d427b4d7625bf73355026c7.jpeg463867A9-E8F9-40D5-8301-7890EE899A3B.jpeg.d3f41463ab6312ec843e3ca33f87f64a.jpegpea gravel

84ABEC35-C5D6-4D83-9BAA-9645C7AD5122.jpeg.14ae2a3c96f688a1e12b55c444dcaee0.jpegCrushed coral and a few blue rocks that someone thought were pretty 

7C5CCA0B-5E55-4DB7-910D-A002BA833E25.jpeg.36c0a6c2e4e83bf6e3d6e0b9ac75fc45.jpegeco-complete with a moss 2FF4E983-2FFE-4727-9877-C786895567FF.jpeg.42251aabba81954a53b7484842af17b0.jpegI have plant growing in all the tanks so I think it shows you can have plants in almost any substrate. 

87F4EBEE-F0FA-4AD1-AB5B-121EA9F574CD.jpeg

Edited by rockfisher
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2022 at 12:49 PM, zpayne10 said:

With the exception of one sanded tank, that is all I use.  Shop around if you have time as different vendors will sell pea gravel from different sources.  Some of mine has the brow/tan river gravel coloration, but the gravel in my 75 is white.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, Tanked said:

With the exception of one sanded tank, that is all I use.  Shop around if you have time as different vendors will sell pea gravel from different sources.  Some of mine has the brow/tan river gravel coloration, but the gravel in my 75 is white.

Ideally I find a black gravel for the price of the Vigoro bag, as it's the color preference of choice. Not sure I'll be so lucky to find it though...

On 12/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, zpayne10 said:

Ideally I find a black gravel for the price of the Vigoro bag, as it's the color preference of choice. Not sure I'll be so lucky to find it though...

HD sells 1/4 inch "rainforest", and Petco sells various black gravels.  They are all $1.00 plus /lb.  good luck!