20 gallon long breeding ideas

AtomCatMatt

Somebody has been shopping at the $1 per gallon sale. 🙂

I think Apistogramma cacatuoides is a great fish to breed. I am biased towards all Apisto's so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Not to demanding, cool parental care, and if you like cacatuoides there are a hundred other Apistos to try.

• Like 1

@AtomCatMatt Whatever you choose keep in mind there's not a lot of vertical space in this tank. That's why it works really well with fish that have similar needs as dwarf cichlids. A couple other things about this tank.  You may have to cut down filter tubes so they'll fit. Also watch what you use for lighting, I had a Finnex Stingray 2 on this and it was way too powerful (I think the fish needed shades) so I swapped it for another less powerful light that I could adjust the brightness. Good luck.  

• Like 1

If I ever get another tank, it will be a 20 long. I have a perfect spot for it in my small dining room, but it would first require some major rearrangement of furniture and organization of a bunch of stuff/junk. Telling self "be happy with the 10 for now and breed some shrimp."

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ken Burke

Can’t go wrong with apistos.  Another option is panda Corydoras.  Really cute, very playful, and generally desirable at the lfs.  

That seems nice too. I enjoy corys. I’ll have to ask the lfs what there demand is like they don’t really keep a big tank of them though.

• Like 1