Need Advice On Pre-Filter Sponge Size

FLFishChik

I have a Topfin Silentstream 30 HOB filter that came as part of a kit along with a really dense pre-filter sponge. I want to replace it with the ACO coarse sponge but don’t know which size I need and can’t find the dimensions of the intake online anywhere. Does anyone else have this filter or know which size sponge I need for it? 

Thanks!

@Guppysnail Thanks! I did see that, but was wondering the size of the intake tube on the actual filter (I didn’t really want to have to wrestle it out of the tank to measure it if I didn’t  have to). But I’ll just have to take the filter out and measure the intake tubing. Eh, probably needed to clean the pump anyway 😬

• Like 1

I have had to use a rubber band to keep one fitted on. It is a larger filter on a smaller filter but it’s on my shrimp tank and it has really helped going with a larger sponge. I also have a rectangular intake. I think you will be happy with the course sponge especially if you have used a fine one before.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 9:04 AM, JettsPapa said:

You may ignore this advice if you wish, but when buying intake sponges from ACO I buy one size smaller than recommended, then tear the hole a little larger so it fits the intake tube.  The recommended sizes seem very large to me compared to the size of the filter.

agree, if intake size is questionable for fit, buy the smaller one. i use a exacto knife/razor blade to cut opening larger to fit.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...