If you were buying neocaridina shrimp today, what color would you buy?

PineSong

I already raise yellow, orange and red shrimp and when populations build up, I sell them locally.

I'm thinking I might try a new color and I'm wondering what colors are popular with others.

My first impulse was green but I wonder whether people like them as they don't contrast with the plants as much, so then I was thinking maybe one of the fancy varieties that is white with a little red, or red and white stripes, etc.

What color shrimp would you be excited to see listed for sale in your area if you were buying today?

IMG_1423.jpg.ba67d2bccb2c2e5b3747a4505ae76041.jpg

On 12/10/2022 at 4:18 PM, PineSong said:

My first impulse was green but I wonder whether people like them as they don't contrast with the plants as much

This is so interesting, my green shrimp are almost lime and they just pop against the green leaves and moss, they're typically the first I see in the tank. I would get dream blue velvet or tangerine tiger (Cardina Serrata Var.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've done blue for about 6 or so months now and don't regret it. I have found tho that I pick blue in every live stock and am trying to get away from it. I might get some dwarf cray and am forcing myself to get the orange CPO since I already have the blue shrimp. Plus the guppies I'm breeding are blue dragon, the dwarf gourami I has (but recently passed) was powdered blue. I have a blue problem lol. On that topic. I want a blue mystery snail! Haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2022 at 8:18 AM, PineSong said:

I already raise yellow, orange and red shrimp and when populations build up, I sell them locally.

I'm thinking I might try a new color and I'm wondering what colors are popular with others.

My first impulse was green but I wonder whether people like them as they don't contrast with the plants as much, so then I was thinking maybe one of the fancy varieties that is white with a little red, or red and white stripes, etc.

What color shrimp would you be excited to see listed for sale in your area if you were buying today?

IMG_1423.jpg.ba67d2bccb2c2e5b3747a4505ae76041.jpg

I've only kept and attempted breeding with red shrimps but would LOVE to keep some blue shrimp in the near future. I also wouldn't mind some black shrimps. 

• Thanks 1

The 'fancy' ones with white, red and/or stripes are caridina. Not neocaridina.
As for neocaridina i think you've had most of the interesting ones already.

I've had red, blue and still got a group of black atm.
Al the others are together in a mix tank. Got some yellow and green ones from the above shrimps as well.
Must say that i find the yellow ones the most attractive atm.

If i would go for a new neo group (got 1 now + 4 groups caridina) i would look into rili.
Just not the best shrimps to sell, because most non shrimp nerds would go for a full colored shrimp.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 6:50 PM, Remi de Groot said:

The 'fancy' ones with white, red and/or stripes are caridina. Not neocaridina.
As for neocaridina i think you've had most of the interesting ones already.

I've had red, blue and still got a group of black atm.
Al the others are together in a mix tank. Got some yellow and green ones from the above shrimps as well.
Must say that i find the yellow ones the most attractive atm.

If i would go for a new neo group (got 1 now + 4 groups caridina) i would look into rili.
Just not the best shrimps to sell, because most non shrimp nerds would go for a full colored shrimp.

I like my yellow ones a lot. They haven't had the same population explosions my red and orange shrimp have had because they live in crowded community tanks, so giving them their own tank might be a good use of one of my empties.

I used to be kind of creeped out by the black shrimp because they look like bugs, but they are growing on me.

I would go with a very high-grade red, like a painted fire red or a bloody mary. (Sorry, just saw you already raise reds). Then a maybe blue dream.  Red and blue seem to be popular colors to sell.

I would't go with a rili pattern as they involve a LOT more culling to maintain the line. Unless you like tinkering with that kind of thing.

I have orange rilis and I have probably culled well over a thousand shrimp in the past year just to get down to like 2 dozen nice looking classic rili patterns.  I have no idea how long these will take to breed more true, if they ever will.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 12/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, tolstoy21 said:

I would go with a very high-grade red, like a painted fire red or a bloody mary. (Sorry, just saw you already raise reds). Then a maybe blue dream.  Red and blue seem to be popular colors to sell.

I would't go with a rili pattern as they involve a LOT more culling to maintain the line. Unless you like tinkering with that kind of thing.

I have orange rilis and I have probably culled well over a thousand shrimp in the past year just to get down to like 2 dozen nice looking classic rili patterns.  I have no idea how long these will take to breed more true, if they ever will.

Thank you for that perspective; I’m a completely hands-off breeder when it comes to shrimp and I have no extra tanks to cull to, so no rili’s for me.

On 12/11/2022 at 9:49 AM, PineSong said:

Thank you for that perspective; I’m a completely hands-off breeder when it comes to shrimp and I have no extra tanks to cull to, so no rili’s for me.

I started with these rilis in a betta tank and had no intention of culling them. Was just looking for some color in the tank.  But it wasn't long before I had all kinds of different patterns, some solid orange shrimp, some translucent green looking ones.

At some point I pulled a few of the better-looking ones out and moved them to a 10 gallon just to see if I could refine and improve them as a project.  They have bred like mad, but the percentage of shrimp that have that classical, picturesque rili pattern still isn't where I want it to be.

In the past month or so, I've gotten a tad more aggressive with my culling standards. I keep thinking I should just give up on these (I had no intention of selectively breeding them to begin with), but something in me, some nagging voice of perfectionism, makes me want to not quit on them just yet.

My culls get fed to my oscars and some of my other SA cichlids.  I too have no room for the amount of culls my rili's create.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 3:18 PM, PineSong said:

I'd also suggest trying blue dreams.  I have a couple of nice colonies going.  When I first started out with them I had taken some to a store to sell and mentioned to the guy evaluating them that I had culled some for being too dark.  He looked at me funny.  Apparently, with blue shrimp "too dark" isn't a thing.  By the way, if you do try them I'd definitely recommend a light colored substrate.  They just about disappear on dark ones.

On 12/11/2022 at 7:45 AM, tolstoy21 said:

I'm glad it's not just me.  I started a colony of them, but it seems like every generation gets worse.  I finally added a few of my best colored solid reds just to see what will happen.  In the meantime I've quit trying to sell any.

I don't have the same problem with my blue, red, and yellow colonies.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, Patrick_G said:

@Irene recently did a great video tour of a spectacular looking LFS. Apparently they sell more blue shrimp than any other color. 

I think I’d personally like to try Caridina 

Good to know about the popularity of blues. I think Caridina are above my tinkering level--my water is limestone and I'd have to give them soft water, right?

On 12/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, Patrick_G said:

I think I’d personally like to try Caridina 

I would too, but I'm not aware of a convenient place to buy RO water.  Maybe some day.

On 12/12/2022 at 10:35 AM, PineSong said:

Good to know about the popularity of blues. I think Caridina are above my tinkering level--my water is limestone and I'd have to give them soft water, right?

Same here.  Yes, everything I've seen and read about them says that most of them need soft water and relatively low pH (<7.0).

On 12/12/2022 at 2:19 PM, Cat23 said:

I'm new at keeping Shrimp I currently have cherry shrimp and my question is can you have different colors of shrimp in the same tank or no?  

Yes, you can, but after a generation or two you will have a big percentage of brown and/or very nearly clear shrimp.  That percentage will increase over time.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 3:19 PM, Cat23 said:

I'm new at keeping Shrimp I currently have cherry shrimp and my question is can you have different colors of shrimp in the same tank or no?  

On 12/12/2022 at 3:49 PM, JettsPapa said:

Yes, you can, but after a generation or two you will have a big percentage of brown and/or very nearly clear shrimp.  That percentage will increase over time.

I think it depends what the colors are that you are mixing. I've heard in some videos and I think a recent thread where @Guppysnailand others were discussing their results, that it depends on what colors you have in there to start with--for example if any of the shrimp are green, the "mutts" are more likely to be brown, whereas if you're just mixing red and yellow, maybe not? I have both red and yellow shrimp in one of my tanks but not enough generations have happened yet for me to say anything other than that I only still see like 4 yellow shrimp and 4,3589 red shrimp in there!

• Haha 1

I mixed all colors including snowball. Yellow passed twice so I gave up on those.  I started seeing a lot of clear and brown. Then after awhile I noticed I saw very few clear and brown. Now I occasionally see a blue one (I only had 5 of those to start) but mostly red and orange. The oranges stayed brilliant some reds are my original low grade color, some are much higher grade color than my originals. Some have the red head and tail with clear center. 
After the phase where I saw mostly clear and brown now I have mostly red and orange. 

• Thanks 1

I love Blue Dream but they disappear in darkly colored substrate. I started my next try with a few skittle shrimp -- red, blue, yellow and orange. As @Guppysnailmentioned, after a round or two of some clear or brownish, I'm now getting some really cool dark blue and black, as well as some brilliantly colored orange and yellow. It's really fun to see what pops up. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2