Best Shrimp For Low PH?

OfficialThomas

Hi! I have a sort of low PH (6.4-6.8). My tap water is 7 but I think items in the tank (driftwood) lowered it. Anyway I also live in Washington state which means my water does not have a lot in the water. Is there any shrimp I can get for my tank? Anything I need to do to create a better environment?

TANK INFO:

Size: 20 gallon high

Stocking: 8 neon tetras, 3 guppies, 2 mystery snails

Plants: 2 dwarf aquarium lilies, 1 Bacopa Caroliniana, 1 Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus

Correct. Water hardness would indicate caradina vs. neocaradina species.

You'll want to run what is called an off-gas water test.

1. Take the sample from the faucet, test it immediately for everything you can.

2. Take that same sample and aerate it for 24 hours with an air stone, then retest everything.

3. Compare that to your tank.

Your parameters for #2 and tank should be pretty similar if not the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 4:06 PM, Schuyler said:

What is the first test for?

Sometimes you have things in your water for the first portion of when it's poured.  It's basically giving you an indication of how stable your water is. The secondary and third tests are to review how stable the water is for the fish you're keeping. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In all likelihood caridina shrimp would be the best for your tank, though as stated above knowing your hardness would be helpful.  If you don't have a kit to test for gH and kH, there's a simple test you can do for general hardness that's free.  The next time you take a shower, after you've rinsed the soap off, rub the palm of one hand down the length of the opposite forearm with just a little bit of pressure.  If it slides easily, like it was still soapy, you have soft water.  If the movement is jerky you have hard water.