Best advice for new Angelfish setup

Scaperoot

My brother in law was gifted a 30 gallon tank, and wants to get Angelfish. He wants plastic plants, decorations, and gravel. I don't know anything about Angelfish. I sent him an Aquarium co op video of Dean talking about his experience with them. He lives in NYC. Any tips (where to buy, parameters, feeding, temps, etc) would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, Scaperoot said:

My brother in law was gifted a 30 gallon tank, and wants to get Angelfish. He wants plastic plants, decorations, and gravel. I don't know anything about Angelfish. I sent him an Aquarium co op video of Dean talking about his experience with them. He lives in NYC. Any tips (where to buy, parameters, feeding, temps, etc) would be greatly appreciated. 

I would ask what he likes about angels to see what other fish might fit that bill--is it the shape, the way they swim, their breeding behavior, or what that he is drawn to. There may be a smaller fish that will make him happy in those ways.

As for him wanting plastic plants--maybe he wants them because he doesn't know how easy live plants can be. That's okay, but after his tank has been set up for a while and has some accumulated fish manure in it, he may be ready to take the leap to some easy real plants 🙂 I always have to make the pitch for real plants!