Hatching brine shrimp eggs

Cwsignu

I use the Ziss Brine Shrimp Hatchery and ACO brine shrimp eggs. Here’s what I do.

-Fill hatchery with water from the tap and DO NOT dechlorinate 

-I add a dash of baking soda as my water is very soft 

-2 Tablespoons of Fritz Aquarium Salt

-USB nano air pump hooked up to hatchery

-No heater; instead I use a clip on light with a standard fluorescent bulb pointed at the hatchery

I set up my hatchery the night before with water, baking soda, salt, air pump, and light. I let it regulate over night to allow the salt to dissolve and the temp to regulate. 

The following morning I put in 1 tablespoon of ACO brine shrimp eggs, and I let them go for ~36 hours before harvesting. Works like a dream for me!

E48D8CEE-600F-4E01-82A4-19DF643D58D4.jpeg

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

On 12/7/2022 at 9:57 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I use the Ziss Brine Shrimp Hatchery and ACO brine shrimp eggs. Here’s what I do.

-Fill hatchery with water from the tap and DO NOT dechlorinate 

-I add a dash of baking soda as my water is very soft 

-2 Tablespoons of Fritz Aquarium Salt

-USB nano air pump hooked up to hatchery

-No heater; instead I use a clip on light with a standard fluorescent bulb pointed at the hatchery

I set up my hatchery the night before with water, baking soda, salt, air pump, and light. I let it regulate over night to allow the salt to dissolve and the temp to regulate. 

The following morning I put in 1 tablespoon of ACO brine shrimp eggs, and I let them go for ~36 hours before harvesting. Works like a dream for me!

E48D8CEE-600F-4E01-82A4-19DF643D58D4.jpeg

I must know. What's in the little tank next to the hatchery?

Also unrelated, one can use Kosher salt if you don't have any saltwater-salt. I use kosher simply because we cook with it a lot so we have a TON.

To hatch brine shrimp, I fill the hatchery with two liters of room temp water straight from the tap. Add in two heaping tablespoons of salt, I've used the aquarium salt sold in store and lately have been using instant ocean salt mix since I have a bunch left from my reef keeping days. put the airline in, making sure that it is resting on the bottom so that the salt gets stirred up good, let it circulate for a few minutes. Pour in the amount of brine shrimp eggs you want to hatch, sometimes its just a teaspoon or two, I've hatched up to two tablespoons in the hatcher. I don't use any supplemental heat other than what the room temp is, and let it run for 36-48hrs. Turn the air off, set a small light up shining onto the bottom of hatcher, let sit for a few minutes then strain and feed to fished. 

On 12/7/2022 at 10:07 PM, Cwsignu said:

I have hatched brine shrimp eggs before but for some reason I'm not having any luck..

This may not apply to where you live. I’m in PA so this time of year it gets colder. My hatchery is in front of the kitchen window so even cooler. Over the winter I have to use a small heater or my shrimp do not hatch. In the summer I do not use a heater. I do not have a light in them since it’s by the window but that works as a disadvantage in the window because I don’t have a heat source.