Centipede knife fish

The endler guy

As the only fish in a tank, you may be disappointed. They're nocturnal and you tend not to even see them most of the time. They like hiding places and fish that like hiding places tend to hide a lot. They're fascinating to watch on the rare occasions you actually see them, but more often than not you'll be looking at a seemingly fish-less tank as they hide out.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 12:54 PM, Aiden Carter said:

What about dwarf centipede knives, I definitely could get a few once they are back in stock at aqua imports, because they are only $15

I just looked them up I think a group of dwarf centipede knife fish would be a better choice and would do well in a 40 gallon tank

On 12/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, Colu said:

I just looked them up I think a group of dwarf centipede knife fish would be a better choice and would do well in a 40 gallon tank

That is my preference because they are smaller and cheaper but the only problem is the only seller I found is aqua imports and they are apparently very popular and out of stock

On 12/7/2022 at 9:00 AM, Colu said:

Have you looked on aqua huna for them 

Just did again they don’t have any : ( 

but I did get into contact with customer service at aqua imports and they said they are trying to get more and they may have more at the beginning of the new year (I was going to ask for them from my siblings for Christmas but I’m now just asking for money to be able to buy them when I have the chance)

• Like 1

I didn’t end up getting them as Cory didn’t stock them until after I tore down my Amazon biotope.

But I have done a ton of research on them. These knifefish are different than the more popular ones as they require a school as @Colu stated. They stay small and really don’t need alot of swimming room. They really enjoy live feedings but can switch to frozen foods by tong. As centipede knifefish get more comfortable with their handlers they have been known to even perform tricks. They also only like to be housed with other shy or mellow fish. Rambunctious fish especially during feeding time will stress them out. Although mostly nocturnal feeding schedules can be switched to the day time especially if the tank is in a quiet low light environment. I noticed the ones Cory got ahold of were very tame and didn’t mind being out even on a Saturday when ACO is slammed with people. Cory was too busy with actual customers for my questions 😋

Hope this helps! Also I have heard rumors of some displaying breeding behavior in heavily planted ecosystem style tanks. I have not heard if they actually produced offspring for people and I do believe a zoo is actively trying to breed them. Thats all I got!

edit: I did have a single glass knifefish rescue for a few months in it’s own heavily planted tank. They display similar behavior. It enjoyed my presence and was often curious when I trimmed the plants in the tank. It sadly passed due to the fungus I was nursing persisting. It was kept in a tank with australian rainbows and was bullied and stressed to no end, prior to my care. Glean what you can from that anecdote 

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Love 1

On 12/7/2022 at 2:31 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I didn’t end up getting them as Cory didn’t stock them until after I tore down my Amazon biotope.

But I have done a ton of research on them. These knifefish are different than the more popular ones as they require a school as @Colu stated. They stay small and really don’t need alot of swimming room. They really enjoy live feedings but can switch to frozen foods by tong. As centipede knifefish get more comfortable with their handlers they have been known to even perform tricks. They also only like to be housed with other shy or mellow fish. Rambunctious fish especially during feeding time will stress them out. Although mostly nocturnal feeding schedules can be switched to the day time especially if the tank is in a quiet low light environment. I noticed the ones Cory got ahold of were very tame and didn’t mind being out even on a Saturday when ACO is slammed with people. Cory was too busy with actual customers for my questions 😋

Hope this helps! Also I have heard rumors of some displaying breeding behavior in heavily planted ecosystem style tanks. I have not heard if they actually produced offspring for people and I do believe a zoo is actively trying to breed them. Thats all I got!

edit: I did have a single glass knifefish rescue for a few months in it’s own heavily planted tank. They display similar behavior. It enjoyed my presence and was often curious when I trimmed the plants in the tank. It sadly passed due to the fungus I was nursing persisting. It was kept in a tank with australian rainbows and was bullied and stressed to no end, prior to my care. Glean what you can from that anecdote 

See the problem that is becoming evident as with all large expensive schooling fish, they need lots of room and cost more then I have to spend

How many would you say minimum?

On 12/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Make sure you have tunnels (ie: pvc pipe or similar) because they love tunnels.

Yup I’m planning on getting clear ones 

On 12/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I was going to stock them in a 128g hexagonal tank so I can’t attest to best tank size. 

Id say they look best in a group of 6+. 5 as an absolute minimum.

What about for dwarves?

How hardy are knife fish?

On 12/19/2022 at 12:13 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I would just get your tank back in order. If I recall correctly you had a loss recently. 

Once the water stabilizes after a few water changes, I might consider them again. ☺️

It’s not only that, but (even though I talk the big talk) I am a relatively new aquarist (I had my 1 year “anniversary” a few months ago, and the 40 gal will be a year old next march) as much as I would like them, with the experience I have, investing $90 just on fish not including shipping, especially because there isn’t much info on them, they are wild caught and are slow eaters