Bloated Orange Neons

mprisbrey

I have a 29 gal ~5yrs old, stable planted tank. 3 of the 5 Orange neons are suddenly very bloated looking and appear gasping for oxygen near the surface. Two are barely moving hanging out in the floating plants (looking near death). The guppies, other tetras, corydoras, and dwarf pleco all look fine. I did a water change a few days ago. All parameters are normal for Texas water (and stable and unchanged).  Ideas?

Ph 7.6

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Hardness is crazy high here.

20221205_201718.jpg

20221205_212049.jpg

20221205_212028.jpg

Edited by mprisbrey
Better pics

Coloration is really pale.

I would start by stopping feeding, add an air stone, and then wait for further review by other forum members.

If you can, trying to take some more photos with more light on the fish directly.

If you have a breeder box or something that would help the fish stay at the surface of the water and be able to rest if possible.

What is the temp of the tank?

As far as feeding, what foods are you feeding, and what sort of schedule?

• Like 1

Hanging near the surface can be caused by low levels of desolve oxygen so adding an extra air stone as @nabokovfan87suggest is a good first step I would also add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes at that level it shouldn't harm your plants with the bloating they could have over eaten or internal parasites can cause bloating and rapid breathing  have you notice any other symptoms such as listlessness sunken belly spitting food white stingy poop  @mprisbrey

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I woke up to all 3 dead this morning. I feed xtreme nano pellets and the coop's fish & fry food 5-6 days per week.  Tank temp is 78.5 f.

No new tank mates, so I don't know where disease or worms would have been introduced. All others look happy and healthy, guppies are breeding like crazy, so it doesn't seem like others are sick, including the other 3 orange neon tetras. Weird thing is 3 wouldn't just die of old age in the same night....I'll keep watching for signs of other looking sick, but so far so good. I can also add the other airstone back in, but it's been out for 2 years so I don't think that's it. Open to more thoughts. 

• Sad 1