My First Breeder of the Year Award so cool

mountaintoppufferkeeper

On 12/4/2022 at 8:13 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Pretty good night at the club meeting. This is the first fish breeding plaque Ive ever received. It was a pretty fun night had by all. Highly reccomend participating in your local club breeders award program for those with any interest. It was cool to talk a bit with likeminded nerms in person.  

20221203_192604.jpg.bb9ff19525d1e66ddfb8cfb74826cde2.jpg

Species bred for 2022 award

1. Dwarf Pike Cichlid Creicichla regani Rio Tapajos

2. Mekong River Puffer : Pao cf palustris 

3. Corydoras sterbai

Bravo ! An award well earned I'd say ! 🥳

On 12/4/2022 at 9:31 AM, Cory said:

nice work! congrats. It's fun to collect those in the fish room.

Out of interest, how many do you have?

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 8:33 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Anything on the bucket list for next year ?

A few bucket list this yesr

1. First up is more Pao cf palustris both F1 and F2 fry. F2 is the bucket list. I would like to see for myself how their behaviors adjust with each generation. 

2. The Pao baileyi are producing eggs now I just need to decide which set up to best document spawning and pull spawn for similar footage as the palustris

3. I have also added a pair of spotted congo puffers to try my hand at egg scatterers as well. 

4. Ill put the L169 plecos here. The odds of me not having a mixed group must be astronomical. I will pull those to their own tank with more wood caves and see how they go

5. That one thing that I have no idea is out there but will certainly find and go all in on.

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Love 2

On 12/4/2022 at 2:13 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Pretty good night at the club meeting. This is the first fish breeding plaque Ive ever received. It was a pretty fun night had by all. Highly reccomend participating in your local club breeders award program for those with any interest. It was cool to talk a bit with likeminded nerms in person.  

20221203_192604.jpg.bb9ff19525d1e66ddfb8cfb74826cde2.jpg

3. Corydoras sterbai

you got rare ambush puffer, then you got sterbai cory 

i just find the polarity in breading difficulty hilarious!

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 5:09 AM, Guppysnail said:

Congratulations. You put a lot of work in those beautiful puffers. 

Thanks kindly. Those fry food needs have added that additional level of work turning me into a "food rancher" of all types and sizes. That is also a pretty rewarding aspect of the puffers for me. 

On 12/4/2022 at 8:55 AM, Aiden Carter said:

you got rare ambush puffer, then you got sterbai cory 

i just find the polarity in breading difficulty hilarious!

.... Though the sterbai did breed in a 50 with a predator characin and a herd of chain loach. The difficulty there was the situation on the corydoras side. They took a while in finding the proper spot between a ziss breeder box and the tank wall to make it happen 😁

• Like 4

On 12/4/2022 at 4:43 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

4. Ill put the L169 plecos here. The odds of me not having a mixed group must be astronomical. I will pull those to their own tank with more wood caves and see how they go

A slight drop in temperature for 1-2 days is a spawning trigger if that helps, along with a decent water change with slightly colder water.

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 11:13 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

3. Corydoras sterbai

Next year. The plecos

Congratulations on all the accolades this week. MUCH deserved, keep doing what you do and showing off those efforts.

On 12/4/2022 at 7:43 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

5. That one thing that I have no idea is out there but will certainly find and go all in on.

What is a species of fish you have never kept, but would like to?  Do you have a tank that makes sense for something like that?

• Like 1

what is a species of fish you have never kept, but would like to? Do you have a tank that makes sense for something like that?

@nabokovfan87Never kept is a tough ask I get a little "seize the day" normally.

The plecos are a goal for sure. 

I did get to see some Neon Borneo Sucker (Gastromyzon lepidogaster) in person those are pretty amazing and would be fun to breed. I have not done the false bottom hillstream setup before but could make a 40 breeder one or adapt my 43 breeder acrylic tank for breeding puffers into that tank. My thinking was an acrylic pedestal tray with a 3" lip and river rocks that fits into a 40 breeder or the acrulic tank, egg crate to allow flow down on the far end of the tank and 4 coop powerheads on spongefilters on the near end pushing water. The sponge uplift coming through a solid piece of acrylic with the powerhead sliding into the tube above that panel so it flows just above the rocks in the tray. 

-----------

That 2021 discovered Lentipes kijimuna goby would be pretty fun as well. Those colors are amazing. Maybe a 20 gallon there. 

-----

Still two more puffers that I know of curently...

I am actively searching for a mixed group of the Carinotetraodon salivator Striped/Zebra Redeye. My Carinotetraodon irrubesco group is here because they are coll but also so I have my redeye process figured out by the time we find the salivators. 20 gallon project

-----

Tetraodon duboisi is another one ive been keeping my eyes open for. I would like to get a group of those going and available as F1s some day. Rare a bit pricey small adult size and rumored to be aggressive. 40 gallon project

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/9/2022 at 6:58 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Gastromyzon lepidogaster

That's a pretty amazing pattern.  What an awesome loach!

Lentipes kijimuna goby

That's my vote. Very unique coloration.  Really something you never see in the hobby.

The other puffers you mentioned seem awesome as well. Whatever you decide, it will be interesting to see that process.  You have a mind for it, and it's really cool to see you "engineer" that process and design the solution when you need to. 

I have not done the false bottom hillstream setup before but could make a 40 breeder one or adapt my 43 breeder acrylic tank for breeding puffers into that tank. My thinking was an acrylic pedestal tray with a 3" lip and river rocks that fits into a 40 breeder or the acrulic tank, egg crate to allow flow down on the far end of the tank and 4 coop powerheads on spongefilters on the near end pushing water. The sponge uplift coming through a solid piece of acrylic with the powerhead sliding into the tube above that panel so it flows just above the rocks in the tray. 

I totally think you could get away with "high flow" without a false bottom setup.   When I had the borneo loaches (not that version, but the basic ones) they did just fine.  75G with 2 75G HoBs and 3 ziss bubble bio filters.  If you were specifically going for movement, I think you could get away with two spraybars along the length of the tank and it would circulate in an oval.  Depending whether you wanted the "high flow" at the sand or at the top or the tank for increased agitation, that would determine placement of everything.

Definitely a fun project, and every time someone goes for that style of tank they do have a unique approach to it.

• Thanks 1