where to put fish while doing decor rearrangement

venzi

I did a significant rearrangement of my tank fake plants and decor recently.  During the process, I left the fish in the tank and I don't think they were that stressed from the commotion, but there was a lot of debris in the water column from having to mess w/ the gravel.  Is all that "dirty" water harmful for the fish in the water column?  Next time should I temporarily move all the fish to a bucket and then move them back in after the debris has settled down a little?

On 12/2/2022 at 4:11 AM, venzi said:

I did a significant rearrangement of my tank fake plants and decor recently.  During the process, I left the fish in the tank and I don't think they were that stressed from the commotion, but there was a lot of debris in the water column from having to mess w/ the gravel.  Is all that "dirty" water harmful for the fish in the water column?  Next time should I temporarily move all the fish to a bucket and then move them back in after the debris has settled down a little?

I’ve done redecorating with fish in the tank before. Stirred up debris doesn’t harm them, and if filtration is adequate, the water will clear up quickly. The same thing happens in nature, where, for example, channel cats will wiggle in and out of the mud, clouding the water that other fish are swimming around in.

• Like 2