Betta has done SOMETHING to his head but I don't know what

eyeebrows

This fish is going to be the death of me. 

Noticed Leviathan has somehow done damage to his head. He was fine last night and this morning. The side not pictured looks like it's also missing a scale but a bit deeper, but it doesn't look like a hole in head hole.

There shouldn't be any spots in the tank where he can get stuck as I've made the spaces big enough for the snail, who's larger.

I'm really just wondering if anyone knows what it looks like because this fish is really trying me. (Darker red is the usual head colour). 

IMG_4848.jpg

On 11/30/2022 at 10:44 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Are there any sharp decorations which he could rub himself on?

On 11/30/2022 at 11:12 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Any chance he jumped at the lid or something?

The rocks all feel smooth enough, and there hasn't been any issues yet. The lid is sort of dome shaped so I don't think he could reach it. 

As long as it isn't looking like something more than him injuring himself, I'll be happy. He was sick and tried dying on me when I got him and now I'm paranoid..but he also likes to get into any and all trouble. 

Yeah, I can't really rule out any sort of disease at this point.  If you can, post a full tank shot so we can see what the surroundings looks like and let us know the parameters and everything going on with this fish.  It definitely looks like missing scales, but sometimes that just the pattern on fish where they have what looks like a stripe/flat spot on their head as part of the pattern.

@Colu what do you see?

On 12/1/2022 at 5:06 AM, Colu said:

Possible injury swim into something in the tank I would add some aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons and monitor for a couple of days if you notice it get worse then I would do a course of kanaplex 

Will probably put him in the hospital tank to avoid adding salt in with the snail and plants. 

I've added API stress coat already but I don't actually know if that stuff works well for injuries or not.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:47 PM, eyeebrows said:

Will probably put him in the hospital tank to avoid adding salt in with the snail and plants. 

I've added API stress coat already but I don't actually know if that stuff works well for injuries or not.

From what I have read the consensus is that stress coat does very little to help improve the slim coat of your fish and aid in recovery 

Edited by Colu

On 12/1/2022 at 3:51 PM, Colu said:

From what I have read the consensus is that stress coat does very little to help improve the slim coat of your fish and aid in recovery 

Honestly I'm not surprised, but it was given to me so figured I'd give it a shot.

Should I add anything else besides aquarium salt?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 9:16 AM, Aiden Carter said:

I had a male ram who got wounded right above the eye a few weeks ago and sadly he passed last week : ( 

are there any tank mates that could have nibbled him?

He only has a snail sibling. I have no idea where he injured himself but he definitely did it himself. 

On 12/12/2022 at 9:38 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Daphnia for the constipation. (no peas)

I only have freeze dried daphnia, I can't find any other version near me. I wasn't sure if the fact it's dried would cause an issue or not. But yes no peas don't worry 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I only can find freeze dried myself- seems to work so you should be good. 

Don't forget a good ol' Epsom salt soak if the bloat continues. Sadly we also have to consider other illnesses but hopefully it's what you say it is!

He gorged himself on snail food the day before hurting himself and getting moved to the sick tank, so I'm suspecting that. He had a couple giant turds and now it's pretty minimal. Pooped after the first epsom bath but I didn't notice any this morning after the second. There is no peace with this fish I swear. 

Thankfully there's no pineconing and he doesn't seem to be having any SBD symptoms. 

• Love 1