Cherry shrimp feeding while on vacation.

Martin

Hey all!  I am taking the family on a much-needed vacation in the near future for 5 days.  My RCS colony is about 150 to 200 strong in a tank that is very densely packed with lush susswasertang vines and algea growth on the back wall.  My inclination was to not even worry about feeding (and risk introducing an untested food source), but I wanted to be safe and ask.  Would you guys even bother and, if so, any products you would recommend?  Thank you!!

• Like 1

If you have the algae growing on the back wall and plants in the tank, I would leave it be. At most, I would throw in an almond leaf and let it sink and they can feed off the bacteria that will start growing on it. I have left my tanks for up to ten days at a time with no feeding and not had any issues, as long as the shrimp are nice and healthy and water parameters are stable beforehand, they'll be fine without any extra feeding ahead of time or while gone. 

• Thanks 1

I would not even bat an eye at not feeding my shrimp for a week or two in a well seasoned tank with algae and moss. 

I have transferred sponge filters to totes or new tanks I’m setting up. I only put in liquid fertz for 2-4 weeks no food since there are supposed to be no inhabitants. Amazingly when I actually look at the tank all the baby shrimplettes that hitched rides on the sponge are now adults. 

so all those babies are well and grew fine on only what is in a sponge filter. Imagine the amount of food a colony can find in a well seasoned planted tank. 

add- they eat biofilm that continues to grow while you are away. They have a living reproducing food source already there. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1