Guppy sourcing

Theplatymaster

There are likely some great online resources for Guppies but IMO the local fish store is usually the best place- why? Because a lot of LFS source their guppies from people just selling them to the store- often they are local so they're raised in similar water that you have and there's no shipping. Ask them, if they do have local guppies I'd buy them there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've gotten good healthy guppies of less common strains from AquaBid online and from my local aquarium club 2x per year sale. None of my local stores typically carries locally bred fish, though one of them will take some "sometimes', you can't just walk in expecting to find them on the daily.

Also, although buying and selling pets is against Facebook rules, most areas have a Facebook group called something like "Chicago Freshwater Fish and Aquarium Rehoming" or "Chicago Livebearer Breeders" and in that group you can find individuals who will sell to you.

Good luck!

On 11/29/2022 at 3:13 PM, Theplatymaster said:

Where is the best place to get high-quality guppies? Is there a site? Or will the standard wholesaler stuff be fine at my LFS?

Try to find an LFS that buys fish from local breeders.  Those fish are likely to be healthier and generally more hardy than fish from the big fish farms.  I know I've struggled to keep commercially raised guppies alive longer than about 30 days, and I have read many reports from other fish keepers on this and other forums who have reported similar experiences.

A lot of "breeders" on sites end up being retailers buying fish from wholesalers and then reselling them on Aquabid or their own websites. Local breeders often find they have more customers than fish, and it's cheaper, faster, easier, for them to buy wholesale and then reship them to buyers than to breed them and raise them to a sellable size. They have a steadier supply and fewer disappointed customers. The problem is the customer is often thinking he/she is buying a locally bred fish and never finds out that it's an import.  If the "breeder" you're looking to buy from has unboxing videos up, the fish you're buying are likely not locally bred.