Hello from West Virginia

Bev C

Hello I am Bev from West Virginia I am widowed   and live alone with  my aquariums , and black and tan dachshund Joey i am retired but still have a busy life 

just love being a member of a forum for fish .. thank you so much Cory and Co-op Team for the forum .. and the invite to join

there is no fish store or fish club  near me have to do most my fish hobby online or travel two hours  I have learned allot already from Cory and Aquarium Co-op team and I am still learning more ... 

I have had a aquarium for 11-15 years started with 10 gallon in a year moved to  20 then  29  gallon had the 29 gallon for years .. then my brother gifted me with a stand that he built and a new 55 gallon .. in September 2020 .   I just love it .. I have 3 tanks a 55 , 20 and 10 gallons  just have a  freshwater  community aquarium fish  with different mixture of small tetras  ,  mixture of cory catfish and a bristol nose pelco   and mystery snails and .Red Cherry Shrimp .

Since I had smaller tanks always used artificial. plants . but now with my larger tank I just bought my first 2 live plants  . already upgraded my light for a planted lighted one and got  some Easy Green  .. and hopefully I can  transfer to live plants .. wish me luck .. I am sure I will be asking .. allot of questions on fish and plants ..Have a Nice Day everyone 

Edited by Bev C

How do you keep your fish alive on such a long drive home?

I'm guessing a much larger bag and oxygen dose than with my quick 10-15 minute drives.

Look for the low-light easy plants (use the filters) from the Co-op and you'll do fine with plants. The ones I ordered were gorgeous on arrival and doing well. 

Welcome to the forum!  I understand what its like to live a long way from fish stores.  Takes some extra effort, but road trips are always fun anyway, right?  I don't expect you'll regret switching to live plants.  They really add some next level fun to the hobby and make for beautiful, more natural aquariums.  Good luck!

On 11/8/2020 at 1:49 AM, MichelleN said:

How do you keep your fish alive on such a long drive home?

Keep in mind fish often travel for days from the other side of the world before they're available at your local fish seller.  I'm also sure they get handled kind of rough along the way.  A 1-2 hour drive should not be an issue so long as the fish are healthy and handled properly.

Edited by Eric W-Farmhouse Fish Room
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

hello everyone 

@MichelleN

i have a styrofoam cooler that i use and pack the bags of fish in and i use air  during the summer and hand  heat packs warmers for  winter i always make sure the fish shop is my last stop before heading home I also make sure no light hits the cooler if i carry them in first thing  i have no problems  so far 

@DemonHunter77 i live in Ravenswood i go to Belpre Aquarium in Belpre Ohio  they are a very small older shop but they know their fish .. and sell very healthy fish  .. i was recommended to them when i started out with  my first aquarium  been going to them ever since  if i look for a certain fish they will help get it for me  Brian is the owner’s son he is very good 

Edited by Bev C