Compatibility

Frankiethepuffer

My experience with bumblebee gobies was that they were aggressive and slow eaters. They nipped on guppies in the tank but left the pea puffer alone. They prefer live or wiggling food, so my worry in a community tank is that they would be underfed and then aggressive cos hungry. 

I auctioned my three off rather than put them in a community tank but ymmv especially if you regularly feed live food. 

Mine were freshwater, I did not add any salt and didn’t see any issues beyond losing one of the four early on (just disappeared, never found a body). I believe bumblebee gobies actually are several different potential species and some may be more inclined towards brackish. This was my type I think: 

True-Bumblebee-Gobies-1_large.jpg?v=1508
AQUATICARTS.COM

* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air.  If your order contains...

I have seen others come into petco or petsmart that had a sharper more pointed face and seemed to be a distinctly different species. 

I always had them in with plants which seemed to be appreciated, they like to have things they can perch on. 

I fed them daily usually, sometimes skipped a day. For bloodworms I melt a cube down and pour a few in each aquarium. They will not eat from the surface, and they prefer it if something floats by them in a lifelike manner. Kind of infuriating when you are used to fish that gobble food. I would go slow and drop a few worms in at a time to start. 

i used to keep these guys. from all the research i did i do believe there are many species that get lumped into the “bumblebee goby” name. the issue is some of them do require brackish water so it can be very difficult making sure you get a freshwater variant since wholesalers ship them all under the same name. i have found that all of the ones ive kept over the years did better in harder water with more minerals and tended to fall apart in soft water. when kept in proper groups there is little aggressive behavior although they will go hard on snails and inverts. 

@RovingGinger @Cory would it be ok if I put them in with my golden wonder killifish and make that tank brackish? Or is the tank not suitable for them? He's not eating when I try and give it to him but he's not dead so he's eating something. I tried the vibra bites and he didn't take to them. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I think he's too small and pretty much still a juvenile to take the bloodworms or bites and I can't get the daphnia until my next paycheck comes in because I gotta get an air pump as well. I know this tank doesn't have the greatest setup, but my golden was getting too aggresive in my 12 so I had to put something together without any funds. I honestly might just return the golden and the goby. I dont want to kill them because I can't properly take care of them. But it will be hard because I've gotten attached to them.

20201107_133542.jpg

Edited by Frankiethepuffer

• Administrators

I think you could potentially have the golden wonder eat the goby depending on size difference. My advice is, make sure you're keeping fish you actually want to keep. The golden wonder sounds too aggressive for what you enjoy and are you wanting to setup a brackish tank based on 1 fish?

On 11/10/2020 at 2:34 PM, Frankiethepuffer said:

@RovingGinger @Cory would it be ok if I put them in with my golden wonder killifish and make that tank brackish? Or is the tank not suitable for them? He's not eating when I try and give it to him but he's not dead so he's eating something. I tried the vibra bites and he didn't take to them. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I think he's too small and pretty much still a juvenile to take the bloodworms or bites and I can't get the daphnia until my next paycheck comes in because I gotta get an air pump as well. I know this tank doesn't have the greatest setup, but my golden was getting too aggresive in my 12 so I had to put something together without any funds. I honestly might just return the golden and the goby. I dont want to kill them because I can't properly take care of them. But it will be hard because I've gotten attached to them.

20201107_133542.jpg

I have no experience with killifish sadly so can’t advise there. Maybe try frozen bloodworms - if you have to get a small siphon to spit out small ones so that they move right past his stubborn face. 

Like I mentioned above, I did eventually rehome my gobies. They were charming but I struggled to find tank mates that worked with them and I was always stressed about them getting enough to eat. They are a charming fish but I wouldn’t say easy. 

I've wanted these guys since I saw them, but now I realize that they wont work with what I have unfortunately. I tried my best. Maybe in the future I will get them again but I feel like I've done this the wrong way. So, I'll take them back to the store. Hopefully someone else who can take proper care of them will take them in.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/30/2020 at 9:43 PM, Frankiethepuffer said:

Can I keep a bumblebee goby with guppy endlers, least killifish, and one golden wonder killi? My tank is very heavily planted. And I'm pretty sure they came from a freshwater breeder as that's what Petco is saying 

Golden wonder killis are going to eat all of those if they get the chance, also the gobies really should be in brackish (even if they were breed in fw)