Tavarua - my first reef tank

OnlyGenusCaps

Well, I've been working on this for a while.  Takes time to afford all the you need/I want for a marine set up.  But my previous "Pseudo-Saltwater" tank has been completely torn down and is now in the process of becoming my first real saltwater aquarium!  The fish that lived in there have been given good new homes, thanks in part to the MAS club auction.  Now with the tank cleared out, I've been able to recon figure the sump.  I had hoped to put in a roller mat, but the one I got ended up needing more vertical space to change the mat than I had under the cabinet.  Luckily I figured it out early enough that I was able to return it for a full refund.  At this point that might have to be a later modification.  For now, the sump setup is actually simpler than it was for my FW setup.  Check it out:

314921921_tavaruasumpdry.JPG.1a5f05407b9351b4c8c2601866b2f574.JPG

The nice thing was, because I ended up having to go with a sock for the time being, I didn't even have to re-plumb the sump.  That's a serious bonus!

The next step has been working on the aquascape.  Here I am basing this a bit off the BRS HNSA style of aquascaping, which involved breaking up the marco rock and gluing/epoxying it back into more interesting shapes.  Mine is still a lot bulkier than Ryan's, but I'm okay with that for now.  I decided to reuse my marco rocks from the previous setup, reasoning that the FW algae would die, but it can't release any more ammonia upon decaying than the stuff that doesn't make it on the "live rock" some marine keepers use.  Plus, this stuff will die!  It just doesn't look very even right now.  But with any luck, the pods will et the dead FW algae and the coraline algae will cover it soon enough.

Here is the view from the front with everything glued and epoxied (I still have to use the crushed marco to cover the glue lines):

2070315169_tavaruadryrocksheadon.JPG.88db4de97c7fe75148c3fd805752557a.JPGIt is sort of hard to get the depth in the rocks there, so here are shots from the left side and the right, respectively.

370770138_tavaruadryrocksleft.JPG.d8a8addf7662c9867e30dd371f3a6e6a.JPG

1459358750_tavaruadryrocksright.JPG.84be4f1fc1101df3a9e4affcaa9ef8db.JPG

Hopefully it makes it clearer than there are gaps and spaces between the different formations that form like little canyons between the rock.  I've also go a couple of swim-through arches and some overhangs.  I am hoping this setup will create good habitat for both the fish and the corals I want to include (the CUC will have to be happy with whatever 😉). 

I guess the last thing is, why the name Tavarua?  Well, that is the name of a private island with a famous set of breaks off of the same name (though each have their own names).  Most of these breaks are shallow over coral reef, and that's what the reef tanks are - shallow reefs.  So this is my first, private, little, shallow reef.  My Tavarua. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 11/28/2022 at 10:59 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’m excited to see how this evolves

Thanks, man!  Me too.  😏  It could all fall apart around me, but I'm still game to try.  I have two big motivators: 1) the breeding challenges (I liked breeding my desert gobies, which hit teeny fry, not quite larva, but it got me thinking), and 2) all the Cnidarians! 😁

On 11/28/2022 at 10:59 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I keep looking at macro algae tanks

Yes, those are like the planted tanks of the marine world!  They seem to be gaining in popularity too.  Plus macro tanks are perfect for - Seahorses!

Seahorse Clipart Transparent - Sea Horse Clipart Png Emoji,Seahorse ...

• Love 2

Unusually for me I am making fairly quick progress on this tank (and the stuff in the background like the RO/DI, mixing tub, etc.).  I finally got the glue covered with rock powder to obscure the seams.  I placed the rocks into the tanks and then...  I fussed over the precise positioning for longer than I would like to admit. 

As it turns out, and aquascapers will already know this I suspect, it's hard to make contrived things look natural!  I would turn a rock so there weren't parallel lanes between the rocks, and then the swim-thoughs would line up.  Or I would push a rock back a bit to expose a different bit of rock, and then two would look placed.  It was amazing how small shifts could make or break the arrangement.  And all 5 pieces I built had to work together!  It ended up being a whole thing.

I have finally settled on a precise arrangement I like.  I think...  But here are the rocks placed in the tank with the light on.  Remember that there will be about an inch of sand on the bottom, so some of the lowest features will be covered.

Here it is head on:

2075691783_tavaruadryrocksinheadon.JPG.f3ff9619cdca1a47e0c890bdfea7403e.JPG

And here, from the right view:

1515263509_tavaruadryrocksinright.JPG.41dae8625a510968ec33c8423623ebfc.JPG

And lastly, from the left side view:

93676793_tavaruadryrocksinleft.JPG.d099769167b4e2ece96574abc461b0a1.JPG

I'd love to hear what folks think.  Are there things that stand out as wildly contrived looking in the placement?  Does it look like there will be enough habitat for fish and eventually CUC critters?  Let me know what you think.  Thanks for looking!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

It looks good. The only thing I'd swap or rotate is the piece on the right side.  The "most interesting face" isn't to the front.  Overall the scape is great for a reef / corals and for fish that like to have places to move.  For the space, that's all you can ask. 

There is a video on BRS.tv channel (youtube) it's a talk by the guy who started it all and he did an experiment about how to cycle and start a tank and going over a variety of methods.  I would highly encourage you to check it out if you haven't.  The findings are pretty relevant to fishkeeping in general and it talks a lot about how to best setup nature to handle issues you might encounter.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 8:08 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The "most interesting face" isn't to the front.

Agreed!  But I really need that forward facing lane to balance the left and right angle lanes.  It's crazy how many permutations you can go through with just 5 pieces of rock!!!

On 12/1/2022 at 8:08 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There is a video on BRS.tv channel (youtube) it's a talk by the guy who started it all and he did an experiment about how to cycle and start a tank and going over a variety of methods.

The Biome Cycle.  Seen it.  Doing it.  Actually, it reminds me of the process that @Biotope Biologist went through to start his first iteration of the "Sub-Alpine Creek Biotope".  I've done a few tub experiments along those lines as well, and now I am trying to get some micro-crustaceans to work on some algal species for me.  Experiments to come.  I feel like if this works, @modified lung could start a pretty slick business culturing parasite free "pods" to inoculate FW tanks with, given his culturing skills.  Just say'n.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So exciting to see SW getting some love!

Any idea what your ideal stocking would be? Any corals you can't wait to try? Bowfronts look awesome with saltwater imo and your rocks look very natural! I think your extra time in placing definitely paid off!

Also I would most certainly buy cultured "pods" for FW! I'm sure there's a pretty decent market who would!

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 8:47 PM, modified lung said:

I'm so tired of working for other people

I get that.

...but my wife says we need healthcare

But, I also get that.

I have a few ideas I'm working on. 😁

That's great news!!!

On 12/3/2022 at 1:37 AM, itsfoxtail said:

Also I would most certainly buy cultured "pods" for FW! I'm sure there's a pretty decent market who would!

I see a "second" here for you @modified lung😁

Any idea what your ideal stocking would be?

Well, I've got the clowns pair lined up from a buddy in the club here.  So they'll be in there fore sure.  I want to breed marine fish, so I'll be focusing on beginner species for that.  I'm intrigued by blennies in general, and was thinking of doing stripped blennies, but...  This tank is in the entry way of the house, and it's the first time my wife has been genuinely excited about a plan for this tank.  She likes orchid dottybacks.  So, I'll be doing those instead!  I gone back and forth on benggai cardinals in addition too.  I like them, but then I learned they are mouth brooders like my cichlids, and I didn't want to have to tear out the tank to get to the fry.  But then I learned the babies would hang out in a fake urchin and I could capture them by putting the fake urchin in the net.  So, they are back on the list!  Basically, it'll be clowns, orchid dottybacks, and maybe some benggais.  Not heavily stocked.

Any corals you can't wait to try?

Here my friend, you have opened a whole can of worms.  😂  For corals in general, I am a basic beast and I really like the fluorescent types!  But honestly, I am still learning.  I'm not that excited about softies, but I'll probably have to start there.  The exceptions are pulsing xenia (I know it can spread everywhere, but it seems worth it - at this stage), and zoas.  The thing about zoas is there are just to many!  I wish there was a comprehensive website where I could look through all the strains, but everything seems to piecemeal, and it's taking me forever to learn about them.  I'll probably try to gram the close polyps that have green and orange, and pink pulsing Sinularia too.  Eventually, I'd like to get some LPS like torch corals for the movement in the current, and Trachyphyllia brain corals for the awesome colors. But, I had to look all of them up on the list I am keeping to teach myself about corals.  Where is that encyclopedic website?!  🤪

Bowfronts look awesome with saltwater imo and your rocks look very natural! I think your extra time in placing definitely paid off!

Thanks!  That kind of you to say, and nice to hear after all the effort.

• Like 2

Can’t believe I just caught up with all of this now! Without the mention would I have gone months again?!? Suppose there is no way of knowing. I digress…

I am excited to see how this turns out! I’m also far too lazy to watch to see what they mean by biome cycling. 

I really like your fish assortment! If I did marine I would definitely stock those fish! 

Also I’m not to well versed in tropical corals but I am aware that some are rather aggressive about their territories and might attack and kill your slower moving peaceful pieces. That’s all I got im just along for the ride.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2022 at 10:06 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Can’t believe I just caught up with all of this now!

Eh.  It hasn't even been a week, dude.  I miss stuff on here for months. 

I really like your fish assortment! If I did marine I would definitely stock those fish!

Thanks!  I have grander dreams long-term, but that's where I will likely begin.

I am aware that some are rather aggressive about their territories

I'll admit, I kind of like the ones with sweeper tentacles that sting their neighbors for territory.  This is part of the motivation for having 5 separate rock pieces that do not touch - it will allow me to create "islands" where I can isolate particularly aggressive or fast spreading corals.  At least that's the plan for now... 

Well, it took several days longer than I had hoped.  Slowed by two, count them 1, 2, sick kids.  But I finally got the tank filled.  And it's...  Cloudy.  Not unexpected based on the "live, wet" substrate I used.  I'll run the system over night before adding the ammonium chloride and the nitrifying bacteria.  Wheil it runs over night, I have the sock in, hoping to help with the cloudiness, but once the bacteria are in, the sock goes and won't return until after the pods have established, and the fish are introduced.  Starting tomorrow, I'll be covering the tank with a dark blanket to prevent light from complicating the process (not that there are any marine alga species I have to worry about being accidentally introduced here in the middle of the continent).  But I wanted to share a photo of the tank right after it was filled, when the water was a cloudy and mysterious as my future with saltwater aquarium keeping is currently.

1651385733_tavaruafilledcloudy.JPG.83b09cf3d352e27234cbd3238281d14f.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Left the sock in last night to help clear the water.  It sort of worked...

809130927_tavaruafilledlesscloudy.JPG.237b49826aff9f95541bf60fab2f01e0.JPG

Hopefully by the time the fishless portion of the cycle is done in a few days, it will have settled out and cleared up.  Otherwise, a finer filter sock might be in order.

Until then, I put in two kinds of bottled bacteria, and some ammonium chloride to feed the bacteria.  One Ammonia Alert added, and then lights out! 

696889123_tavaruacycledark.JPG.de42ae04c05461b659f23def1436e934.JPG

Once I can add ammonium chloride and have it disappear in a few hours, I'll be set to add the biodiversity bacteria, microalgae, coraline algae, and the pods.  A couple weeks like than and the clowns go and, then I am on my way! 

• Like 3

It is looking great so far!

Your tank is bigger than my PSB, so you should be fine. Mine is definitely overstocked, but the critters keep breeding in there. Thirty anemones, 27 gobies, and who knows how many in the CUC.

Also on the layout, nice start, but your CUC will do some unsolicited interior design for you. They have opinions!

Out of curiosity, what temp are you keeping the tank at?

It is going to be an awesome build to follow! 😀

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, eatyourpeas said:

but the critters keep breeding in there.

Breeding stuff if my goal too, but hopefully I'll be pulling eggs/larvae, so there shouldn't be a build up.  I men the coals will grow...  I hope.  But that will be the big biomass addition over time.

Also on the layout, nice start, but your CUC will do some unsolicited interior design for you. They have opinions!

Oh, I know.  I wasn't really worried about where the sand is in terms of hills, etc.  I just wanted to make sure the pieces were stable.  I won't be getting any large diggers, like fighting conchs or anything.  So, I hope the larger rock structures will stay relatively where they have been set.  But we'll see.

Out of curiosity, what temp are you keeping the tank at?

I am aiming for about 26C, which will let the tank drop to about 25.5.  That's suggested as a decent coral temperature.  I mean, I want SW in large part for the Cnidarians!  And the challenges of breeding inhabitants too, I suppose.  But I am drooling over some of the corals and one nem!

• Like 3

On 12/3/2022 at 7:56 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Well, I've got the clowns pair lined up from a buddy in the club here.  So they'll be in there fore sure.  I want to breed marine fish, so I'll be focusing on beginner species for that.  I'm intrigued by blennies in general, and was thinking of doing stripped blennies, but...  This tank is in the entry way of the house, and it's the first time my wife has been genuinely excited about a plan for this tank.  She likes orchid dottybacks.  So, I'll be doing those instead!  I gone back and forth on benggai cardinals in addition too.  I like them, but then I learned they are mouth brooders like my cichlids, and I didn't want to have to tear out the tank to get to the fry.  But then I learned the babies would hang out in a fake urchin and I could capture them by putting the fake urchin in the net.  So, they are back on the list!  Basically, it'll be clowns, orchid dottybacks, and maybe some benggais.  Not heavily stocked.

Ooh, saltwater breeding you say? You're aiming for the rafters! I cannot WAIT to follow this tank now! Especially personally, selfishly, for the banggai . I mean, have you seen baby banggai? I remember my LFS bringing in a batch the owners had just bred and they are not only incredibly cute but absolutely amazing how perfect they are at such a small size! Would make even the toughest humans melt into a little puddle. 

If you're planning on pulling fry do you have any ideas for rearing tanks? I mean I'm sure we're jumping the gun a little talking about this already but I must admit I'm curious, lol!

On 12/3/2022 at 7:56 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Here my friend, you have opened a whole can of worms.  😂  For corals in general, I am a basic beast and I really like the fluorescent types!  But honestly, I am still learning.  I'm not that excited about softies, but I'll probably have to start there.  The exceptions are pulsing xenia (I know it can spread everywhere, but it seems worth it - at this stage), and zoas.  The thing about zoas is there are just to many!  I wish there was a comprehensive website where I could look through all the strains, but everything seems to piecemeal, and it's taking me forever to learn about them.  I'll probably try to gram the close polyps that have green and orange, and pink pulsing Sinularia too.  Eventually, I'd like to get some LPS like torch corals for the movement in the current, and Trachyphyllia brain corals for the awesome colors. But, I had to look all of them up on the list I am keeping to teach myself about corals.  Where is that encyclopedic website?!  🤪

There are indeed so many zoas! It took me almost a year to finally pin down what a few I'd been growing were actually named. It's a little insane. I use this website for at least dipping my toe into the zoa-naming scene. (We can post links in this forum, right?)

Now I stumbled upon however a list of Scoly types and once I saw exactly how many hundreds there were... I graciously bowed out of ever hoping to learn their names. 

It's always good to start with softies but imho it's pretty fluid from softies into LPS as long as you get the gist of their differences. I have never heard of pulsing sinularia however and now I also have something to google. There actually are hard-copies of pretty extensive coral encyclopedias but I've never been willing to drop the hefty sum for an actual physical 400-something page hard-cover book... Ah, to only find one in a used bookstore. One can dream. 😂

Euphyllia are the greatest! I'll be excited to see what kinds you get! It's so peaceful watching them wave in the breeze... er... flow.

On 12/3/2022 at 6:14 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I'll admit, I kind of like the ones with sweeper tentacles that sting their neighbors for territory.  This is part of the motivation for having 5 separate rock pieces that do not touch - it will allow me to create "islands" where I can isolate particularly aggressive or fast spreading corals.  At least that's the plan for now... 

Just a quick two cents on my end for this. Islands work great! However maybe don't actually physically anchor the corals to the rocks because you can't really have any say in where they start spreading their heads. I have an octospawn on its own island far away from absolutely anyone... and it decided to grow heads all in one particular direction so it could start tickle-slapping some zoas that were not ready for the harassment. If they aren't anchored you can easily separate heads (or have a LFS do it because who can afford a wet saw?? (or losing a finger or two)) but if they're anchored you're forced to find another course of action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 3:09 AM, itsfoxtail said:

Ooh, saltwater breeding you say? You're aiming for the rafters!

Yup, I breed one FW goby with teeny fry and suddenly I think I am a master breeder or something.  🤣  In all seriousness, I am excited to work my way to pelagic spawners and planktonic fry that don't settle for a month or two.  There are so many more tools available for that now than there even were 5 years ago, bringing many more species within reach of a home hobbyist. 

mean, have you seen baby banggai?

Yes, they are pretty awesome!  They might be cuter than puppies.  Just say'n.

If you're planning on pulling fry do you have any ideas for rearing tanks? I mean I'm sure we're jumping the gun a little talking about this already but I must admit I'm curious, lol!

I don't think you are jumping the gun at all.  I've been told the first thing to breeding SW is to learn how to culture live foods.  To succeed, you need to have robust stocks of live foods, and competency with managing them.  So, I have plans already!  Rotifers have long been the go to with general greenwater.  But it turns out that copepod nauplii are much better food, and there are specific strains of phytoplankton that bulk them up best.  So, I think I am going to go that route.  Essentially once I have the fish in there, I'll be constructing my breeding shelf in my basement and starting cultures of the live foods.  That will happen even before I add any corals to the display!

I use this website for at least dipping my toe into the zoa-naming scene. (We can post links in this forum, right?)

That is an amazing resource!  Thanks so much for posting the link!!!  And we can post links here as long as they aren't competitors - so until Cory starts selling corals.  😜  I do wish it had more of the varieties there, but still the best list I've seen in a single spot.  Some of the naming seems like the wild west though.  There are a few ones that I think have been named several times.  Makes it a bit harder to sort it all out.

Now I stumbled upon however a list of Scoly types and once I saw exactly how many hundreds there were... I graciously bowed out of ever hoping to learn their names.

I mean if Zoas are the wild west for identification and naming, then Scolys are just a post apocalyptic every man for himself wasteland.  At least with zoas they can be fraged easily so you can have strains.  With scolys it's just does the latest one ripped from the reef look like others, or will it sell better with a new exotic name?  Because you can't really propagate them easily I haven't paid too much attention to them though.

I'll be excited to see what kinds you get!

I am excited to see what I can afford!  😉  The torch corals are so popular right now that the prices are sky high for the nice ones.

However maybe don't actually physically anchor the corals to the rocks because you can't really have any say in where they start spreading their heads.

This is an interesting point!  One of my fellow keepers locally drills holes in his marco just larger then frag plugs to hold the frags loosely in place.  I didn't really set this up to go this route, but maybe I should before putting corals in?!  Something to think about.  Thanks!

or have a LFS do it because who can afford a wet saw??

I mean are they really that much more than a skimmer?  Or a nice torch coral?  Actually, I think I'd rather have the coral.  😁

or losing a finger or two

That's a fair concern!

• Like 3

On 12/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Yup, I breed one FW goby with teeny fry and suddenly I think I am a master breeder or something.  🤣  In all seriousness, I am excited to work my way to pelagic spawners and planktonic fry that don't settle for a month or two.  There are so many more tools available for that now than there even were 5 years ago, bringing many more species within reach of a home hobbyist. 

I don't think you are jumping the gun at all.  I've been told the first thing to breeding SW is to learn how to culture live foods.  To succeed, you need to have robust stocks of live foods, and competency with managing them.  So, I have plans already!  Rotifers have long been the go to with general greenwater.  But it turns out that copepod nauplii are much better food, and there are specific strains of phytoplankton that bulk them up best.  So, I think I am going to go that route.  Essentially once I have the fish in there, I'll be constructing my breeding shelf in my basement and starting cultures of the live foods.  That will happen even before I add any corals to the display!

Lol! Hey listen, the mindset is half the battle. 😂

Pelagic spawning is just so mind-blowing to me! I'm SO excited to see your journey. Heck, there are honestly a limited number of people period that have been successful with some of these fish; you may just find your way to a world first! I'm always routing for home hobbyists to magically spawn things that the scientists haven't been able to. It just feel so satisfying for some reason lol.

I'll be excited to see your live foods setup too! I've been toying with the idea of culturing rotifers and actually pulling clown eggs sometime but I definitely don't have the space or time at the moment. So I'll be living vicariously though you! Any idea on the general size/tank number for the breeding shelf? Looks like you'll have three species at least to hopefully play around with. I have no idea about the raising of salt critters as far as "growing out" so it'll be a fun ride!

Some of the naming seems like the wild west though.  There are a few ones that I think have been named several times.  Makes it a bit harder to sort it all out.

I sometimes feel like someone has one zoa head that has just a SLIGHTLY different shade of a color and they're like "*slaps desk* I'm gonna name this sucker". 

I mean if Zoas are the wild west for identification and naming, then Scolys are just a post apocalyptic every man for himself wasteland.  

This feels so incredibly accurate.

I am excited to see what I can afford!  😉  The torch corals are so popular right now that the prices are sky high for the nice ones.

This is an interesting point!  One of my fellow keepers locally drills holes in his marco just larger then frag plugs to hold the frags loosely in place.  I didn't really set this up to go this route, but maybe I should before putting corals in?!  Something to think about.  Thanks!

I've always thought the Dragon Soul torches look so cool but I've told myself I won't spend over a hundred on a single coral. You're right, they're getting crazy expensive now. 

That's a great idea! I have anchored about half of my LPS and have regretted it. Food for thought on the future; thanks!

I mean are they really that much more than a skimmer?  Or a nice torch coral?  Actually, I think I'd rather have the coral.  😁

True. Very true.

Although I saw a scoly I think go for about 10k the other day... and I just had to take a moment to pause and reflect and say "wow, you could actually buy a half decent car for that price". And then question why I couldn't have picked a cheaper-but-admittedly-not-as-cool hobby.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 10:42 PM, itsfoxtail said:

Heck, there are honestly a limited number of people period that have been successful with some of these fish; you may just find your way to a world first! I'm always routing for home hobbyists to magically spawn things that the scientists haven't been able to. It just feel so satisfying for some reason lol.

Well, I'm pretty lucky being here in Minnesota (never thought I'd say that sentence!).  I've got a professor friend down the road who essentially funds his lab by the breeding of marine species he's done from it (including some species I think would be fun to breed like blue tuxedo urchins, cleaner and fire shrimp, plus cool fish!).  Matt Pedersen who runs Coral magazine lives in Duluth, and though I don't know him yet, I am friends with his friends, and he has bred more species out of his basement than perhaps anyone.  Chad Vossen, maker of the best larval traps, lives like a half an hour from me.  I mean, BRS is even my local supply shop - I just drive over to pick up orders.  Minnesota, unexpectedly, is a pretty good spot for marine keeping and breeding!

I'll be excited to see your live foods setup too!

Fair warning: it will be unimpressive looking.  It'll probably be more like Kathy Leahy's setup in St. Louis than say like Matt's very professional setup.  That linked vid is a good watch.  She's inspiring that anyone can do it.

Dragon Soul torches

Those are nice!  I really like the gold tentacled one with the blue tips - someone was selling one at a show as "Simpson", which I assume is a reference to Marge.  So expensive though! 🤑

And then question why I couldn't have picked a cheaper-but-admittedly-not-as-cool hobby.

Always remember, you don't choose your hobbies.  I've wanted my hobby to be jogging for years.  Never happens.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 7:12 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Well, I'm pretty lucky being here in Minnesota (never thought I'd say that sentence!).  I've got a professor friend down the road who essentially funds his lab by the breeding of marine species he's done from it (including some species I think would be fun to breed like blue tuxedo urchins, cleaner and fire shrimp, plus cool fish!).  Matt Pedersen who runs Coral magazine lives in Duluth, and though I don't know him yet, I am friends with his friends, and he has bred more species out of his basement than perhaps anyone.  Chad Vossen, maker of the best larval traps, lives like a half an hour from me.  I mean, BRS is even my local supply shop - I just drive over to pick up orders.  Minnesota, unexpectedly, is a pretty good spot for marine keeping and breeding!

Wow!! I had no idea Minnesota was the place to be! I am now officially extremely jealous! My jaw literally dropped at having BRS as your local supply shop. Minnesota may or may not have just gotten a little boost on the "places it wouldn't be bad to live" list.

Having a professor friend in the niche of marine breeding will probably come in handy! He'll hopefully have some insight much better than your average hobbyist if you run into some hiccups. You're building your contact arsenal! 

Fair warning: it will be unimpressive looking.  It'll probably be more like Kathy Leahy's setup in St. Louis than say like Matt's very professional setup.  That linked vid is a good watch.  She's inspiring that anyone can do it.

The "anyone can do it who puts their mind to it" inspirational stories are the best that come out of this hobby imo. 

Always remember, you don't choose your hobbies.  I've wanted my hobby to be jogging for years.  Never happens.

😂😂😭😭

• Like 2