Hillstream loach hiding in sponge filter uplift tube

fishinacage

Hi! If it was the first time I'd seen them do it I'd probably get them to come out (just to make sure a-ok). Then if I saw them in there again, I'd let them stay. Maybe he/she has a lack of a hiding place? They do like little hidey holes so if your tank doesn't have a "suitable" (to them) option you might consider trying a few. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

The fish is likely trying to get more flow.

Add an air stone.

What temp is the tank at? Hillstreams will very much enjoy highly oxygenated water.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:08 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Maybe he/she has a lack of a hiding place? They do like little hidey holes so if your tank doesn't have a "suitable" (to them) option you might consider trying a few. 

Mine were always on the back glass (camouflage) or on top of pleco caves. You can get clay pot bases from the hardware store and stack them like slate, that would be great too. Very good note!

I had to release one of my long fin super red plecos from an uplift tube of a undergravel filter twice in a couple days.  Hasn’t gone back in.  I don’t even know how he managed to shimmy in there.

I would also add more flow/aeration for your hillstream, though.  And get him out of the filter at least a couple times to discourage him from getting in there.

Edited by Odd Duck
Clarify
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had a couple bigger cories get stuck and die in uplifts.

If you haven’t already, I’d come back after dark, and see if it’s still in there. It might be choosing to go in there, and not be stuck at all.

If it looks like it’s stuck, obviously get it out. You might need to take out the sponge filter, or maybe just pull off the uplift tube while it’s still in the tank.

I think hillstreams have this rep for loving high flow and highly oxygenated water, and clearly they’re well adapted to these conditions but that doesn’t mean they choose it or need it. I’ve seen a lot of descriptions (pics vids and stories) of them doing just fine in low flow setups. Though to be clear I’m playing the role of armchair expert here, and have never kept them myself. 

It may be that rather than seeking higher oxygen because there’s a lack in the tank, it’s just following instinct to swim upstream, and the highest flow is in the uplift. 

A possible solution would be to convert the air driven sponge to a pump driven sponge. This would prevent the fish from getting in in the first place, and you could point the flow to a side wall and if the fish wants to sit in/on high flow it’s got a saf(er) place. 

Edited by TOtrees