Crossbreeding Corydoras?

Theplatymaster

On 11/30/2022 at 10:24 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I encourage giant hordes of species only tanks of corydoras! Especially when you get to.... 30+ or around there they just really behave really well and have such interesting behaviors. 20-30+ of the same corydoras, one species in a tank, very fun tank.

30 aeneus in a 20... fat chance. Id do pygmy or habrosus though in large amounts

On 12/1/2022 at 1:44 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

@Odd Duck any chance yours were crossbreeding and that explains the pattern discrepancy?
One you have is lineage 9 the other is lineage 7.  So no chance, right?

I had 4 species I wanted and deliberately split the species from same families apart and put different families together to minimize the risk of hybrids.  I wouldn’t ever say zero chance because stranger things have happened, but there should be very minimal risk of hybrids from everything I’ve read, especially since there are plenty from each species to be their own shoal/breeding group.  If I hadn’t had sooooooo many eggs, I wouldn’t have worried about having trilineatus eggs.  The tris were amped up and doing zoomies, but not obviously breeding from what I could see from across the room.  The bronzes were clearly spawning.  I didn’t want to disrupt tris spawning if they were, just figured I’d collect eggs and see what grew.  The more I think about it and stare at my babies, I’m really thinking it was all bronzes and the ones that still have “baby cory” pattern are just slower to mature.

I collected almost all the eggs off the glass, so if the tris were the ones laying eggs on the plants, then I for sure don’t have many, if any, tris.  It was too hard to collect off the plants.  I may tuck a spawning mop in the back and see if tris might like that.

• Like 1