Algae help

Jeriah

I'm battling hair algae on my Xmas moss and here are some suggestions. The two things that have helped the most are to move my light source away from the moss because it was only about 8" from the light. I also cut back the amount of time my light source was on. The second thing I did was to take a toothbrush (new) and gather up the moss in the bristles. High levels of nitrates can cause hair algae to grow, what are your levels? Are you overfeeding your plants or animals? I know there are chemicals that can be used but I'm not well versed enough to comment on that. Freshwater algae eaters can help: My amano shrimp spend more time cleaning my moss than any other plants, my mystery snails have been seen on my moss that has hair algae. Good luck, it's not impossible to get rid of, you just have to figure out what you are doing that's making it grow and that takes patience. 

• Like 2

Amano shrimp!!!!

On 11/27/2022 at 4:11 PM, JJenna said:

My amano shrimp spend more time cleaning my moss than any other plants, my mystery snails have been seen on my moss that has hair algae.

Do a week long blackout of the tank. That should help them to fight it and catch up. Feed the amano every few days to keep them pushing on the algae.  That should do a majority of the work for you if it's not a massive infestation.

If the algae is prevalent then we can look at light settings and stuff.  The common thing is 4 hour window, cut your light power by half. Then let the tank fight the algae and slowly increase things as it makes sense.

On 11/27/2022 at 4:11 PM, JJenna said:

I'm battling hair algae on my Xmas moss and here are some suggestions. The two things that have helped the most are to move my light source away from the moss because it was only about 8" from the light. I also cut back the amount of time my light source was on. The second thing I did was to take a toothbrush (new) and gather up the moss in the bristles. High levels of nitrates can cause hair algae to grow, what are your levels?

Awesome advice!

• Like 1