Filter Problems-Tell Me It's OK :)

dmurray407

I think I know the answer, but have to ask. My Fluval 405 canister filter just crapped out for whatever reason I can't figure out. My tank is 60 gallons-I have 2 large AC sponge filters that have been in the tank for a couple of years and I just got a AC power head to put into one of them. Honestly, this Fluval has been a PIA since I got it (I had a smaller Fluval 305 in the tank before-worked great for for a few years before it died so I replaced it with this one last year). Will my aquarium be OK with just the sponge filters if I don't replace the Fluval?

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 9:16 AM, dmurray407 said:

I think I know the answer, but have to ask. My Fluval 405 canister filter just crapped out for whatever reason I can't figure out. My tank is 60 gallons-I have 2 large AC sponge filters that have been in the tank for a couple of years and I just got a AC power head to put into one of them. Honestly, this Fluval has been a PIA since I got it (I had a smaller Fluval 305 in the tank before-worked great for for a few years before it died so I replaced it with this one last year). Will my aquarium be OK with just the sponge filters if I don't replace the Fluval?

You probably just need to clean the impeller.  Give it a chance, see if that fixes it.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 12:08 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Well when answering the question "how heavily stocked" that's a loaded question. Is it stocked with 5 guppies then yes, if it's stocked with 4 goldfish (or even one) you're in trouble. So here's hoping you, @dmurray407 understand what that might mean! 🙃

I have 2 Irian Red Rainbowfish, 5  1" tetras, 3 zebra danios and 9 panda corys. Sounds like a lot now that I add them up 🙂.  

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2022 at 12:39 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You probably just need to clean the impeller.  Give it a chance, see if that fixes it.

I cleaned it all earlier but will check it again. It is making kind of a weird clicking/grinding noise (like when it doesn't have enough water in it) which doesn't seem like a good thing to me 🙂 To complicate it, I have a Fluval UV clarifier in the system (hooked into the output hose) and I can't figure out any way to check that other than disconnecting the UV module and then the tubing will be too short. I'm going to order some new tubing and take the UV module out of the puzzle. The intake tubing is patent when I blow through it, so if there's a clog, it's got to be in the output. 

ETA: I took the Fluval system completely apart checked the impeller again and removed the UV clarifier-nothing seemed clogged or like it was malfunctioning otherwise, but it seems to be working again. Not sure what actually was going on, but as long as it's working, I'm happy. Thank you all for your input!!!

Edited by dmurray407

On 11/27/2022 at 11:57 AM, dmurray407 said:

I cleaned it all earlier but will check it again. It is making kind of a weird clicking/grinding noise (like when it doesn't have enough water in it) which doesn't seem like a good thing to me

When you cleaned it did you remove the impeller itself? The impeller shaft? (Toothbrush or Qtip would work well).

The noise you're hearing is starting the pump dry, need to purge air out before turning it on.  Then you may need to shake it back and forth to dislodge any air bubbles that get stuck when it first turns on. Gently of course but just so they can be shot out of the canister.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:57 AM, dmurray407 said:

I took the Fluval system completely apart checked the impeller again and removed the UV clarifier-nothing seemed clogged or like it was malfunctioning otherwise, but it seems to be working again. Not sure what actually was going on, but as long as it's working, I'm happy. Thank you all for your input!!!

Good to hear. Best of luck with it.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:05 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Buy Eheim, 20 year investment.

The real unfortunate thing is that EHeim doesn't want to be in the US market much anymore. They aren't stocked in a lot of places anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

it sounds like you need 1 or 2 tips that go on ends of the axle of the impeller. Sometimes buy a new impeller to get the tips is cheaper than buying 2 tips. Tips are different colors for different companies. When a red tip falls in the aquarium, it is easier to find than when a back tip falls in. The tips keep the impeller in line. When I hear that grinding noise, I think the impeller is not seated properly. Sometimes the tips stay on the axle, other times they stay in the socket, other time the split and disappear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 3:52 PM, KittenFishMom said:

it sounds like you need 1 or 2 tips that go on ends of the axle of the impeller. Sometimes buy a new impeller to get the tips is cheaper than buying 2 tips. Tips are different colors for different companies. When a red tip falls in the aquarium, it is easier to find than when a back tip falls in. The tips keep the impeller in line. When I hear that grinding noise, I think the impeller is not seated properly. Sometimes the tips stay on the axle, other times they stay in the socket, other time the split and disappear.

The black thing that holds the white rod (the axle?) (the impeller slides onto it) into the "hole"?  I do have a spare one I got for my old 307-I should check to see if they are the same size-quite a few things are the same between the 307 and the 407. I removed the "axle" but the black tip stayed in the hole-maybe the "hole" has stretched out a bit......Thankfully, right now it's working perfectly so I'm not going to touch it 🙂 Thank you!

• Like 2

@Mmiller2001 The old Eheim filters were that way, the last I bought three years ago broke after two days, and now they've stopped their selling to North America, even parts are hard to get and I won't constantly bother extended family and friends in Germany to send me replacement parts. The Fluvals require maintenance but they run decent if you keep up with them, my 407 has been very reliable.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 3:34 PM, Jungle Fan said:

@Mmiller2001 The old Eheim filters were that way, the last I bought three years ago broke after two days, and now they've stopped their selling to North America, even parts are hard to get and I won't constantly bother extended family and friends in Germany to send me replacement parts. The Fluvals require maintenance but they run decent if you keep up with them, my 407 has been very reliable.

Bummer, I was thinking about selling one. I will hold on to them now.

Go Oase then! Maybe those ridiculously expensive ADA metal canisters!

• Like 2

On 11/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, KittenFishMom said:

When I hear that grinding noise, I think the impeller is not seated properly.

In the case of some pumps it's the actual shaft grinding itself away. (Aquaclears)

It's such a bad noise. Like nails on a chalkboard to me now.  😞

On 11/27/2022 at 2:03 PM, dmurray407 said:

The black thing that holds the white rod (the axle?) (the impeller slides onto it) into the "hole"?  I do have a spare one I got for my old 307-I should check to see if they are the same size-quite a few things are the same between the 307 and the 407. I removed the "axle" but the black tip stayed in the hole-maybe the "hole" has stretched out a bit......Thankfully, right now it's working perfectly so I'm not going to touch it 🙂 Thank you!

Using Fluval 405, impeller from a 307? I'm just trying to get it straight so I can look up the specs.

Screenshot_20221127-221105.png.12fb03214d903bdded955bec53de4c63.pngScreenshot_20221127-221120.png.911a2d61685830b421da555bd82195a5.pngScreenshot_20221127-221137.png.6138da3b9139e4bdba6b8bb8e90d1b99.pngScreenshot_20221127-221324.png.770712f4516fe604c32f9d38ebfa369d.png

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 12:08 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Using Fluval 405, impeller from a 307? I'm just trying to get it straight so I can look up the specs.“     Thanks for doing this! I should have guessed they wouldn’t be the same. I’ll order a new one so when it acts up again, I’ll be ready 🙂 As I recall from when I did this on my 307, it was a little tricky getting that rubber support out of the filter. Thank you, again!

• Like 1

@dmurray407 from the design, My guess is that the ceramic shaft might be bent or it might not be in place fully.  Beyond that, it's likely air or something that was making the noise.  The old impeller design looks a lot like the Aquaclear impellers which have a lot of issues with the shaft, this impeller shaft is a different material, which is a good thing.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:05 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

from the design, My guess is that the ceramic shaft might be bent or it might not be in place fully. 

New ceramic shaft and impeller assembly coming from my friend Amazon :)I was surprised to see some knock off brands selling replacements as well, not much of a discount though so I got the Fluval ones. The ceramic shaft I had on hand is actually for a 306/406 and the rubber tip is a different shape.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:22 PM, dmurray407 said:

The ceramic shaft I had on hand is actually for a 306/406 and the rubber tip is a different shape.

yep!  Basically all I would expect is a noise from the shaft moving (not sitting in fully, that is why the new shaft is slightly larger so it can seat better in the cavity) and the impeller blades to hit the lid / cover.

• Like 1