Best filter for 55g planted tank

Dstrong13

41 minutes ago, Dstrong13 said:

Hi there, 

I have a 55g planted aquarium and right now I'm only using a double sponge filter. I am curious as to what your favorite filters are for a tank that is planted (hopefully will be heavily planted) with 10 fish? Thank you so much! 

I have a heavily planted 55 gallon tank with an AquaClear 110.  Works well for my community tank, which is fairly heavily stocked. The AC 110 gives a strong circulation flow of water.

• Like 1

With my AquaClear filters, I like to spraypaint the intake black with Krylon Fusion, and use a Coop sponge on the intake. I fill the chamber with coarse sponges but don't back it tight--I also like to leave about an inch at the top to run fine filter floss (just WalMart pillow stuffing) as mechanical filtration, which I swap out as it gets clogged.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frogmouth Catfish said:

With my AquaClear filters, I like to spraypaint the intake black with Krylon Fusion, and use a Coop sponge on the intake. I fill the chamber with coarse sponges but don't back it tight--I also like to leave about an inch at the top to run fine filter floss (just WalMart pillow stuffing) as mechanical filtration, which I swap out as it gets clogged.

Hi Frogmouth, which coop filter do you use on your intake? I was thinking of getting one - have a marineland biowheel. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Maggie said:

@Frogmouth Catfish do you mean the ones that go with their sponge filter setup? I didn't see just the filter part for sale separately, only in square shape.

medium-pre-filter-sponge_240x.jpg?v=1590
WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

Increases Filter Capacity Reusable, Extends the life of other media Coarse Foam to extend time between cleaning The medium pre filter sponge is...

They have large, medium, and small. 

Just now, Frogmouth Catfish
Just now, Maggie said:

Hi Frogmouth, which coop filter do you use on your intake? I was thinking of getting one - have a marineland biowheel. Thanks!

I use the medium size intake on AquaClear 50s and 30s; I think the large for 70s and up.

Man, the large version is just... Large. It's perfect for my canister intake, but I can't see using it on my aquaclear 70s or 110s. Anyone else doing this and care to post pics? I just use the mediums.

I just upgrade to a new  larger tank .. and just upgrade to a canister filter because of my new  tank set up  near the wall and with me only have one hand   ..

but I used  on my smaller tank  a sponge filter  &  aquaclear 70 for 11-12 years.. I just ..  love  the sponge and aquaclear ..   the aqyaclear  are very reliable  and a workhorse .. had mine all that time  only had  to replace impeller and the media that goes in the filter .I kept my aquaclear and use it on  my smaller tank  .. for a quartine  tank for emergencies . I do not have quartine running full time  but  ... I always keep extra media  if I need to set one  up fast .. 

Edited by Bev Casto
  • Like 1

I like aquaclears, but if you want to turn it off to feed your fish it siphons all the water back out and you have to reprime it same with power outages. I like the seachem tidal because it doesn't siphon out, but it is harder to protect fry or shrimplets from the impeller due to the intake and surface skimmer slot size.

I like a hang on back with some filter floss to help with polishing sometimes, but use sponge or matten filters usually. I'm setting up my 90 gal with a sump though and that should be interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Ellsworth said:

I like aquaclears, but if you want to turn it off to feed your fish it siphons all the water back out and you have to reprime it same with power outages. I like the seachem tidal because it doesn't siphon out, but it is harder to protect fry or shrimplets from the impeller due to the intake and surface skimmer slot size.

I like a hang on back with some filter floss to help with polishing sometimes, but use sponge or matten filters usually. I'm setting up my 90 gal with a sump though and that should be interesting.

Oooh repriming every time something should happen sounds like a pain. I have a friend who told me to get the tidal, but a lot of people here are suggesting the aquaclears. My head is spinning. 😂😂 I just want the best.

As long as you keep it running it is fine. I just find it annoying to have to add a cup of water each time I need to restart the aquaclear.

The aquaclear is a proven aquarist favorite for many years and reliable too. The seachem tidal is newer and similar but the pump is in the aquarium so no siphon to lose.

My tidal also runs quieter than my aquaclear because it has a little curved ramp that takes the water down to the water surface, so a gentler water entry if you keep your water level up. The aquaclear drops further so a little noisier.

If you have fry or shrimplets then the tidal will be a bigger risk as you can't put a sponge over the intake (it has a surface skimmer) like you can with the aquaclear. The surface skimmer may also be an issue if you have or plan to have small floating surface plants.

Both are great, however, the Aquaclears are cheaper if that makes a difference.  I like the tidal, but cory and the co-op really don't like it as much based on his videos so your mileage may vary. 

• Like 1