Questions on filling 55 gallon tank

KittenFishMom

I have substrate and some water in my new build in my 55 gallon tank. I have filled it about 1/4 full and am putting in same plants before the water gets very deep. (I have been taking photos and will start a journal shortly.)

The RO system won't arrive until Tuesday, so I am using a mix of well water and spring water. One gallon at a time.  I did put down a plastic bag, so the substrate wasn't disturbed.

I'm wondering how much I should plant before it is full?

Should I fill it enough to cover the plants and then wait for the RO water?  

Should I add turbo start 700 before the filters are in place? I have fishless fuel, but hope to move some fish in soon. The 2 adult corys are rather cramped in their tall 10 gallon hex.

Should I add prime?

Should I be circulating the water with sponge filters and air stone as I fill it?

I'm just not sure how to proceed from here.

The end with the tall vase. I filled it with water after I took the cover off.

626753241_sofars.jpg.b3391a6f62840a89c8f97c856886bb92.jpg

On 11/26/2022 at 3:22 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I'm wondering how much I should plant before it is full?

Fill it up all the way, let it run to clean out the fines from the substrate. Float the plants or just leave them in pots to do their thing. 

Take your time planting, no big deal.  It's a new tank, so you can just go ahead and take your time to get things setup.  Plants can sit for a few days, up to about a week before I really would be bothered to start rushing things.  It helps the plants to acclimate to the water to to just let them sit before breaking down roots and pots and stuff.  Not mandatory, but it's an option.

Should I add prime?

Every time you add water from the tap, dose the tank.

Should I be circulating the water with sponge filters and air stone as I fill it?

Fill it up, then add airstone, filters, etc.  Whatever it is you have and plan to run so you can verify everything is working as you want it to.

Once you get things filled up and the substrate is in there, then I usually run my hands through it to try to get the air out of it a little bit and start the process of compaction.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 2

Should I add turbo start 700 before the filters are in place? I have fishless fuel, but hope to move some fish in soon. The 2 adult corys are rather cramped in their tall 10 gallon hex.

Adding the 2 adult corydoras is perfectly fine. Even if you have JUST an airstone.  There is enough water volume where they won't do anything but help the tank cycle.  That being said, make sure you've dosed prime for the volume of the tank prior to adding any fish and wait ~5-15 minutes.

• Like 1

The first adult cory was easy to catch. It was resting in the deli tub half full of sand. I just slowly lifted the tub and lowered it into the other tank.  After the first adult disappeared, the second started hiding, so I figured a few small ones would keep the first adult company until the second one come out of hiding. 

I rushed to net 3 corys in shallow muddy water once, 2 died, I think from cory toxin. I am very very careful moving corys now.