My first recent experience with Ich.

Pepere

I remember having to deal with it when I was a child, but I dont remember the particulars.

This bout though was rather amazing.

I was observing 8 White Skirt Tetra in first week of quarantine with med trio on board.

as I approached the end of the first week I noted 1 was not eating anymore and just swimming around with the others as they ate.  I figured I would keep an eye on it, but did a water change and put in a carbon filter to pull meds..

about 8 hours after water change I went down to feed and observe. Just about all of them had ich on their tail fins.

Raised temp, added salt, and pulled filter and dosed with Ich X and went upstairs to search youtube for Ich prognosis, progression and treatment to refresh my memory.

went back down to rest Aquarium Coop heaters a bit higher to 83 degrees.

Next day, aint nobody was eating and they were covered all over.  None of them looked happy.

water change and redose Ich x and aquarium salt…. That night they had perked up some and had lost some of their spots.  They ate with a vengeance….

This morning obvious improvement, water change redose salt and meds.

tonight maybe 3-4 spots total on all 8 fish…. 

amazing turnaround!

• Love 3

This morning there were no discernible spots on them.

I did a water change and redosed.  I will probably do the same again tomorrow.  Then I will likely let them sit in it for a week without dropping the tank temp assuming no more spots show up.

then start water changing out meds and salt for the next week and dropping tank temp back to 76.

I was amazed how quickly it got worse, and how quickly it started improving.

Ich is nasty stuff, and Ich X is good stuff….

On 11/26/2022 at 4:21 PM, Pepere said:

I remember having to deal with it when I was a child, but I dont remember the particulars.

This bout though was rather amazing.

I was observing 8 White Skirt Tetra in first week of quarantine with med trio on board.

as I approached the end of the first week I noted 1 was not eating anymore and just swimming around with the others as they ate.  I figured I would keep an eye on it, but did a water change and put in a carbon filter to pull meds..

about 8 hours after water change I went down to feed and observe. Just about all of them had ich on their tail fins.

Raised temp, added salt, and pulled filter and dosed with Ich X and went upstairs to search youtube for Ich prognosis, progression and treatment to refresh my memory.

went back down to rest Aquarium Coop heaters a bit higher to 83 degrees.

Next day, aint nobody was eating and they were covered all over.  None of them looked happy.

water change and redose Ich x and aquarium salt…. That night they had perked up some and had lost some of their spots.  They ate with a vengeance….

This morning obvious improvement, water change redose salt and meds.

tonight maybe 3-4 spots total on all 8 fish…. 

amazing turnaround!

I’ve never done the salt and rarely heat but lemme tell ya, Ich X is is MAGIC. Always clears up ich outbreaks within 3-4 days. 

You caught it early and intervened immediately which likely helped with resolving the ich quickly. Ich-X and the med trio solution that aquarium co-op has coined really does work well. You post detailed the importance of observation. Great job and congrats on beating the ich with no losses.