Cholla wood and betta

starsman20

So I thought I would add some shrimp to my betta tank.  Put 2 pieces of cholla wood in getting ready for shrimp last night. Woke up this morning and my betta had swum into one end and got stuck about 3 inches in.  After some woodcutting to split the cholla got him out. Torn up fins.  Some damage to an eye but he is alive for now.   Anyone else have this happen?  Should I have known he would do this?

Poor thing is just laying on the bottom now. Don't think he's going to make it.  What really sucks is he was a rescue. Daughters friend had him in a vase.  Had popeye and finrot.  I treated with maracyn then maracyn 2 then furan and he wasfinally getting better.   Now i think ive killed him. 

I had a gourami do something similar today, he got himself stuck in some floating plastic plants I had added for the fry, he was half out of water, I had to cut the plastic to get him out safely. He's pretty scraped up but I think he will make it. I have heard of bettas getting stuck in cholla wood and things like castles before. They aren't the most agile.