Cube tank 45x45x45cm / 90L

Ruud

Got this new Blau Cube of 45x45x45cm (about 18x18x18 inch), technically 90L but in reality more like 75 as it has holes drilled for a sump I don't have. It has a bottom of fine sand and I started cycling today a Fluval 107 cannister.

For sure I want 1 or 2 of the smaller L numbers so I need some peaceful fish to match. Maybe some Pygmy Cory's as well but am also thinking Green Tetra's or Raspbora's like the one in my profile pic. Never had them and not sure if they would come to their right in a square tank?

Other options are off course some Apisto's. Would love to hear suggestions on how to stock. Also plant-wise ... something low tech as all my tanks struggle with algae usually (especially bba)

I have another tank with dwarf gourami's, cardinal tetras and Sterbai Cory, a lonely swordfish and a lonely balloon molly so definitely want something else for the Cube.

Thanks so much!
Ruud

IMG_1240.JPG

Edited by Ruud
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 10:40 AM, Ruud said:

For sure I want 1 or 2 of the smaller L numbers so I need some peaceful fish to match. Maybe some Pygmy Cory's as well but am also thinking Green Tetra's or Raspbora's like the one in my profile pic. Never had them and not sure if they would come to their right in a square tank?

Other options are off course some Apisto's. Would love to hear suggestions on how to stock. Also plant-wise ... something low tech as all my tanks struggle with algae usually (especially bba)

I have another tank with dwarf gourami's, cardinal tetras and Sterbai Cory, a lonely swordfish and a lonely balloon molly so definitely want something else for the Cube.

Star tail tetra things.... what are they.  uh........ Silvertip Tetra!  Some of those might really get the pygmy corydoras schooling around.  Centerpiece can be the apistogramma with a gave.  Central stump style bit of wood so the tetras can swim in a circle around everything.  If you're struggling with BBA (I am sorry, I am too) then I would stick with very, very, very low demand plants and basically let them do their thing.  Start with anubias or java ferns.  As long as the lights aren't beaming on high and you're not crazy dosing, it's generally stayed low for me.

The green neons and others like them might get some schooling behavior too depending how many of each you get.

A herd of otos too!  They shoal and would really do well in that shape of a tank.

• Like 1

Cool tank! I love cube tanks and I own a bunch.  I think you’re on the right track with a pleco or two and some nano schooling fish. Green neons or Chilli Rasboras would be my pick. I’m on the fence for a centerpiece fish. An Apistogramma would be cool, but some Honey Gourami would be more visible and interactive.

I scape with a few stones and some nice wood. I’d plant the bottom with short crypts and a few tall crypt spiralis. Add some Pogostemon Stellatus because it’ll fill in fast. Finish with some epiphytes on the wood. 

• Like 1

Cheers both, those are helpful suggestions. I am going to  look up the plants (and see what i can find nearby here in Spain). A single honey gourami is actually a nice one to consider. 

I also like Lemon Tetra's but I think they are a bit more difficult to keep and might not like the small size of the Cube. Anybody any experience here?

• Like 1

Ok now I am watching fancy goldfish.... though I know deep inside this tank is too small for 3 of them. Am I the only hobbyist here who is indecisive? I want it all... goldfish, angels, Apisto's, L numbers but I can't have much more than 2 or maybe 3 tanks / Facepalm

• 10 months later...

So this tank is going to get a complete make over once I have my 100L fully cycled and moved some fish from the Cube to there. I want to put in plant substrate, better lighting and get it nicely planted. Right now with the fine sand my plants are just suffering, plus I have some bb algae so won't show a full shot of the tank 

But today while cleaning I shot some photo's from some of the fish in here. Its a bit over crowded at the moment as I am reshuffling tanks: 

L213 Ancistrus 

IMG_3324.jpg

My Lemon Tetra's

IMG_3320.JPG

Sterbai Cories!

image5.jpeg

Edited by Ruud