55 gallon schooling poll  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Large School Stock Ideas, Which one do y'all like to the best,

• Celestial Pearl's/Galaxy Rasbora's
    • RummyNose Tetra's
    • Ember Tetra's
    • Harlequin Rasbora's

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/2020 at 10:59 PM

I haven’t kept Rummynose Tetras, or Harlequin Rasboras, but I have the other two. However, I get the most active schooling behavior from Bloodfin Tetras. They will swim figures of eight around, over, and under the wood in my Askoll 20.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 1

Actually, out of your list I would only choose myself the Harlequins because they are just real pretty. I know rummy noses school beautifully but somehow they just don't do it for me.

Don't want to make things more difficult, but Lemon Tetras or black or green Neon's are really my favorite schooling fish for a tank your size.

Ruud 

• Like 1

I voted for harlequin rasboras as that's my choice for a large school in my 45. But for my 10-gal, I have dwarf emerald rasboras (danio erythromicron) (similar to galaxy rasboras and can interbreed) which appreciate a lower temp (70-75) and a slightly higher pH (7.2-8.2) (figures are from various websites). Any of your choices sound beautiful!

• Like 1

I have a smaller school of rummynose  a smaller school of ember tetras and a smaller school of black neon tetra (about 10 each).   One thing to consider is what other tank mates you plan on having.    My rummynose will swim and feed at all levels of the tank whereas my neons n ember swim and eat at the top half.   It may get messy if you don’t have a good clean up crew.   If it’s just going to be one large school of fish, I would choose a school that will feed at all levels.    Good luck all those choices are neat. 

I built several of these out of 2x4 and 1x6 (top and bottom shelves) for various sizes. This is a 29 gallon. I have these in my office, what I really wanted to build for my living room was the rustic stand shown below it out of cedar (I don't recall where I found the image. I could see one of@Streetwise tanks on one of those).

IMG_2656.JPG

IMG_2657.PNG

Edited by Bill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@AtomCatMatt from what I gather from @Cory you only need to support the tank by it's corners. If true, you can remove the 4 blocks in the center. This makes more room for fish stuff or a small tank.

I'm inclined to believe him as I have a stand for my 72g tank which has only tiny vertical supports in the center front and back. The front is covered by doors and the back is open; typical stand.

Good luck with your build!

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Tanks with rims are meant to be supported on 4 corners. Now this has always worked for me, but with unlevel floors or something else, I could possibly see the need for extra bracing. However I'd be putting a tank there cause I want more tanks 😛

39 minutes ago, Cory said:

Tanks with rims are meant to be supported on 4 corners. Now this has always worked for me, but with unlevel floors or something else, I could possibly see the need for extra bracing. However I'd be putting a tank there cause I want more tanks 😛

Does this apply to larger tanks with center bracing? My roommate has a 75g with center bracing and was curious.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Phirefase said:

Does this apply to larger tanks with center bracing? My roommate has a 75g with center bracing and was curious.

I personally have done 75gs. I've seen another store do 125s and 150s, but I haven't personally tested that. 

I would say the Rummynose and then Harlequin are both the best schoolers. I used to have those in an 85g tank together. Also Cardinals tetras are good schoolers. I currently have Neons, Embers, and CPDs. CPDs rarely ever school for me, the neons are pretty good schoolers at times, the embers do school at times but not too often. These are all my experiences, you may have different results. I think my fish are a bit too comfortable.

While I really like the Rummynose and Cardinals I find them the most fragile.

When I threw in a powerhead, it really got the rummynose and harlequins to school.

• Like 1