EVER HAVE A TANK BREAK OR LEAK?

DaveSamsell

We all have aquariums; some more than others.  They come in different styles, designs and fabricated materials.

But did you ever have a tank outright bust open?  Or perhaps even a slow leak?

Always wondered what the percentage of tank failures were, compared to aquariums in operation, for many years.

8 years ago we bought a 10g. We used it for 3 years or so. Then I bought a 25g and the 10 went into the attic. We moved last year and I used it during the move. After setting up our new 75g this past May I started using the 10g as a QT. One day I was changing water in the 75 when I heard water hit the floor. I was freaking out trying to find it when I realized the 10g had sprang a leak!

I think the years in the attic and garage may have been a factor... but I am following this thread because I worry that in 5 -10 years my 75 gallon might be at risk.... and that’s a lot of water!

About 3 years ago now I had a glass 220 gallon tank blow a seam out on me.  My wife heard a loud popping noise and ran down stairs to find the tank leaking at a fast pace into the basement.  I was at work at the time and when I got home 45 minutes later the tank was 3/4 drained and all that water was in the basement now.  I rapidly had to remove the fish and finished draining the tank.  When I got the tank moved and all the sand pulled out I found that a seal on the side literally separated apart.  That was a bad bad day, $500 in damages to my basement.