Snail Help!

JJenna

@Guppysnail @TeeJay

I found my first dead snail 😢. This snail was not a part of the group I just purchased but that my daughter transferred into my tank.  I know it happens. At the same time, I found 2 snails doing what? mating, eating the other? The yellow snail is a recent transfer from the big tank and the other was one that I purchased recently. I honestly don't know who is doing what to who! Sorry for the poor pic, they were right in the corner and the sealant is blurring the image. 

image.jpeg

Mating Snail 2.jpg

Mating Snail 1.jpg

Yellow is a boy. On top is ALWAYS a boy. The one on the bottom may or may not be a girl. The boys are not picky about who they attempt to mate with. 

The other that passed it’s almost impossible to say. It could be age or failure to adjust. It’s the only thing that bothers me about snails. You can almost never tell what happened. I’m sorry for your loss. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 12:29 PM, Guppysnail said:

may or may not be a girl. The boys are not picky about who they attempt to mate with. 

Seriously? 🤣

Explains why Romeo is really “getting around” in my tank.

I’m sorry that your snail passed. Perhaps it was difficult to adjust as @Guppysnail suggested. Do you recall if you floated the snail in a bag or drip acclimated him/her to get the snail used to the water in the other tank?

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Do you recall if you floated the snail in a bag or drip acclimated him/her to get the snail used to the water in the other tank?

Unfortunately, she did not. She commented that mine were more active than hers and the next thing I knew she told me she moved all of them into my tank. 

Thanks, everyone for the help! It sure looked like the gold one was almost out of his shell and freaked me out that the other one might be eating him!

• Like 1

They're doing the deed! I made the mistake once of having only one male and one female in a tank and after a couple months the poor girl's shell was WRECKED. The males are relentless. My new rule of thumb is just one mystery snail per tank or many to play the odds and at least give the girls some breaks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2022 at 12:47 AM, Rita said:

They're doing the deed! I made the mistake once of having only one male and one female in a tank and after a couple months the poor girl's shell was WRECKED. The males are relentless. My new rule of thumb is just one mystery snail per tank or many to play the odds and at least give the girls some breaks!

They are. This is my first time having a male, and at first he was targeting just the one female. Now he has diversified. Look how ridiculous this is. What he does afterwards zzz

You’ll want to check the upper walls and lid for eggs daily. They will lay them out of the water. See my journal link below if you’d like to hatch a clutch. If not, you can freeze the clutches and then crush.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Thanks 1