Lowering water level to prevent jumping

ccc24

Any experience or thoughts on how far down one needs to take the water level to prevent jumping on a lidless tank? I would love house my clown killis in a rimless cube (they are breeding pretty well) but I just don’t trust them not to jump. It has a lowered water level (about 6 inches) but I just don’t think that will be enough. 

I'm totally aware this is a non answer so I'll apologize in advance... but I'm a big proponent for lids! My good friend who also keeps fish has lost 2 bettas recently from her 55 gal tank and her water is dropped 4 inches! It's just not worth in my opinion. I'd rather have a lid and give them the maximum amount of space possible by filling that tank up to the tippy top. Not to mention better heat retention and less evaporation. 😬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2022 at 11:53 PM, Rita said:

I'm totally aware this is a non answer so I'll apologize in advance... but I'm a big proponent for lids! My good friend who also keeps fish has lost 2 bettas recently from her 55 gal tank and her water is dropped 4 inches! It's just not worth in my opinion. I'd rather have a lid and give them the maximum amount of space possible by filling that tank up to the tippy top. Not to mention better heat retention and less evaporation. 😬

Low water levels are also a problem for those of us with hard water.  That's why I don't have any rimless tanks and keep my tanks full.  The black rims do a wonderful job of hiding hard water stains and residue.

• Like 2