Hello from Canada

Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I have been lurking on the Aquarium Co-Op channels, and website for a while! 

My name is Gabor Rac-Sabo (Gabe for short) and I have over 20 years of continuous fish keeping experience. However I have kept aquariums on and off for 35+ years. Currently I am looking after 20 planted aquariums in my fish room, and also the president of the Windsor Aquarium Society.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/17/2022 at 5:19 PM, Windsor Aquarium Society said:

Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I have been lurking on the Aquarium Co-Op channels, and website for a while! 

My name is Gabor Rac-Sabo (Gabe for short) and I have over 20 years of continuous fish keeping experience. However I have kept aquariums on and off for 35+ years. Currently I am looking after 20 planted aquariums in my fish room, and also the president of the Windsor Aquarium Society.

I have lots of relatives in your area, but on the Mi side of the border. Welcome Gabe, post some pics of those tanks if you get a chance!

On 11/17/2022 at 8:52 PM, Windsor Aquarium Society said:

IMG_6816.jpg

I'd never get anything else done if I had this! I don't even have any fish yet but I can spend lots of time just watching the plants dance and the parasnailing going on in mine! Welcome to our group

On 11/19/2022 at 5:33 PM, OceanTruth said:

Welcome to the forum!

By any chance, was your fish room featured in a LRB aquatics video? It looks so familiar. I still remember how beautiful and well organized your fish room is.

Yes it was. It is titled Canadian Presidents Fish Room. It has been a while since than, things changed a bit.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:53 AM, smm333 said:

Welcome! Your fish room is so beautiful. I don't think I'd ever get anything done with that place around! I would just want to sit in there all day! 🥰

Thank you! It is hard to get out of there sometimes. Specially when the weather gets colder as I have a fireplace down there too!

On 11/18/2022 at 5:14 PM, TeeJay said:

Welcome to the club. That's an amazing fish room you have there. Can't wait to hear story's about what you are keeping.

Well the fish keep changing in the fish room, as I strive to bring in new species of fish to the area every year or so. Right now I have several strains of fancy guppies, a few color morphs of Medaka rice fish, high coverage red angels. However I think my favorite tank is my river tank. I have reticulated hill stream loaches, Borneo tiger hill stream loaches, Borneo spotted hill stream loaches, panda garra, and long fin white cloud mountain minnows. Also have six rock shrimp in there as well!

• Like 2

On 11/24/2022 at 1:54 AM, Schuyler said:

For a second I thought you managed to put a tank in the curio cabinet.

Welcome!

That is an awesome setup. Do you have any particular type of fish you like to keep?

I'm more about trying to breed fish and distributing it in the area! For example most of the super red plecos in the area came from my fish room. Also most of the Ancitrus sp. "Rio Paraguay". Right now I'm working on a few guppy's and Medaka rice fish to spread in the area. I'm not really interested in one of the "one fish I must have" idea, more so how can I find a fish that is missing in this area and try to fill this gap. There are some fish that I would love to crack the breeding to, such as panda garras, or the Nigerian red kribensis. I know I have a problem dreeding Kribs go figure....

On 11/24/2022 at 11:13 AM, The Arthritic Aquarist said:

Hello from parts further north in Canada! Of course, most of Canada is further north of Windsor! 🙂

How far in the Artic are you?

• Like 1